Cytology of hybrids betweenSolanum nigrum L. andSolanum furcatum Dun.
- 9 Downloads
Cytomorphological features of theSolanum nigrum L. andSolanum furcatum Dun., and their F1 hybrids were studied. The hybrids showed highly irregular meiosis and were sterile without fruit-set. It is concluded that the morphological diversity and intersterility of the species are due to structural differences between their chromosomes.
KeywordsSolanum nigrum L. Solanum furcatum Dun. sterile hybrids chromosomal sterility
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Davis P H and Heywood V H 1967Principles of Angiosperm Taxonomy (London: Oliver and Boyd Ltd.)Google Scholar
- Edmonds J M 1979 Biosystematics ofSolanum L. sectionSolanum (Maurella); inBiology and Taxonomy of the Solanaceae (eds) J G Hawkes, R N Lester and A G Skelding (London: Academic Press) pp 529–548Google Scholar
- Ganapathi A and Rao G R 1985 Spontaneous triploidy inSolanum nigrum L. complex;Curr. Sci. 54 1242Google Scholar
- Ramanna M S and Hermsen J G Th 1979 Genome relationships in tuber-bearing Solanums; inBiology and Taxonomy of Solanaceae (eds) J G Hawkes, R N Lester and A G Skelding (London: Academic Press) pp 647–654Google Scholar
- Swaminathan M S, Magoon M L and Mehra K L 1954 A simple propionocarmine PMC smear method for plants having small chromosomes;Indian J. Genet. 14 87–88Google Scholar