Seasonal growth, reproduction and spore shedding inPterocladia heteroplatos
- 10 Downloads
Results on seasonal growth, fruiting behaviour and spore output inPterocladia heteroplatos are presented. Populations ofP. heteroplatos were recorded in all months of the year with a maximum development of plants from November to January. Tetrasporophytes occurred throughout the year without any seasonal variation in their abundance but carposporophytes were rarely found in natural population. The tetraspore and carpospore outputs ranged from 1427–7 94 055 and 39 996–1 67 040 spores/g fresh weight of the plant respectively. Seasonal changes were not found in the formation and liberation of reproductive bodies inP. heteroplatos.
KeywordsSpore shedding reproduction, growth seasonal changes Pterocladia heteroplatos
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dixon P S 1958 The structure and development of the thallus in British species ofGelidium andPterocladia;Ann. Bot. London N.S. 23 353–368Google Scholar
- Kaliaperumal N and Umamaheswara Rao M 1981 Studies on the standing crop and phycocolloid ofGelidium pusillum andPterocladia heteroplatos;Indian J. Bot. 4 91–95Google Scholar
- Matsuura S 1958 Observations on the annual growth cycle of marine algae on a reef at Mamadzuru on the Pacific coast of Japan;Bot. Mag. (Tokyo) 71 93–109Google Scholar
- Oliveira Filho E C De and Sazima I P 1973 Estudos sobre a biologia de algas agrofitas. I. Recolonizacao, brotamento e fenologia em populacoes naturias dePterocladia capillacea (Rhodophyta-Gelidiaceae);Bol. Zool. Biol. Mar. N.S. 30 677–690Google Scholar
- Santelices B 1978a Multiple interaction of factors in the distribution of some Hawaiian Gelidiales (Rhodophyta);Pac. Sci. 32 119–147Google Scholar
- Santelices B 1978b The morphological variation ofPterocladia caerulescens (Gelidiales, Rhodophyta) in Hawaii;Phycologia 17 53–59Google Scholar
- Suto S 1950 Shedding, floating and fixing of spores ofGelidium;Bull. Jpn. Soc. Sci. Fish. 15 671–673Google Scholar
- Umamaheswara Rao M and Kaliaperumal N 1980 GenusPterocladia (Rhodophyceae) from India;Bull. Bot. Surv. India 22 109–111Google Scholar