Constitution of dalbergin
The two important characteristics of 4-phenyl coumarin derivatives,i.e., the colour reaction with magnesium and hydrochloric acid and the transformation with alkali and mercuric oxide into coumarilic acids are shown to be characteristics of the group by the study of more members. The coloured product is somewhat similar to flavylium salts. Calophyllolide does not give marked colour reaction probably due to the presence of acyl group. Mercuric oxide-alkali method is specially convenient for the preparation of 3-phenyl coumarilic acids since the alternative bromination method does not work satisfactorily with 5-substituted coumarins.
KeywordsCoumarin Dimethyl Sulphate Hydriodic Acid Aqueous Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate Alcoholic Ferric Chloride
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ahluwalia, V. K. and Seshadri T. R.J. Chem. Soc., 1957, 970.Google Scholar
- 2.—, Mehta, A. C. and Seshadri, T. R.Proc. Ind. Acad. Sci., 1957,45 A, 293.Google Scholar
- 3.Ponniah, L. and Seshadri, T. R.Ibid., 1953,38 A, 77.Google Scholar
- 5.Potier, A. O., Buzas A. and Lederer, E.Bull. Soc. Chim., France, 1951, 577.Google Scholar
- 6.Limaye, D. B. and Joshi, M. C.Rasayanam, 1941, 226.Google Scholar
- 7.Robinson, G. M. and Robinson, R.Biochem. J., 1931, 1687.Google Scholar
- 8.Kostanecki, V. and Weber, C.Ber., 1893,26, 2906.Google Scholar
- 9.Pollak, V.Monatsh.18, 743.Google Scholar
- 10.Baker, W.Jour. Chem. Soc., 1941, 663.Google Scholar