Studies in sampling technique
- 13 Downloads
1. Rind hardness was measured for five varieties from 100 selected stalks in 1949–50 and for three varieties from all millable cane within 1/40th of an acre in 1950–51.
2. (a) Sector, clump, unit and row as hierarchies were not found to be as important as internode or stalk.
(b) Unit brought in more variation within the sample than the clumps.
3. The size of sample by the first method would be 25, 100 and 500 well-developed stalks, the best of a clump, to estimate this character within margin of 5%, 21/2% and 1% error of the mean. For the second method, the number of observations required would be 50, 250 and 1,250 taken from the four hierarchies according to a certain plan.
4. All measurements should be done on the side opposite the bud at the mid-point of middle internodes.
KeywordsCane Sugarcane Variety Stem Borer Sugarcane Research Millable Cane
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Buzacott, J. H... “The relationship between hardness of sugarcane and varietal resistance to beetle borer (Rhabdocnemis obscura Boisd),”Tech. Commun. Bur. Sug. Ext. Sta., Quesnsland, 1940,8, 127–52.Google Scholar
- 2.Khanna, K. L... “An improved instrument for testing rind hardness in sugarcane,”Agr. and Livestock in India, 1935,5, 156–58.Google Scholar
- 3.—— and Panje, R. R... “Studies in the rind hardness of sugarcane. I. Anatomy of the stalk and rind hardness,”Ind. Jour. Agri. Sci., 1939,9, 1–14.Google Scholar
- 4.—— and Sharma, S. L... “Studies in the anatomy of sugarcane stalk—I. Chewing canes,”Proc. Ind. Acad. Sci., 1947,26, 13–31.Google Scholar
- 5.—————,—————.. “Studies in the anatomy of sugarcane stalk—II. Milling characteristics of varieties,” Ibid., 1949,29, 23–34.Google Scholar
- 6.—————,—————, and Bandyopadhyay, K. S. “Studies in anatomy of sugarcane stalk—IV. Sampling technique for the evaluation of anatomical structure for comparative study,” Ibid., 1950,31, 1–33.Google Scholar
- 7.Rao, J. Thuljaram.. “Rind hardness as a possible factor in resistance of sugarcane varieties to stem borer,”Curr. Sci., 1941,10, 365–66.Google Scholar
- 8.----- .. “Anatomical character of stem in relation to rind hardness and borer attack in sugarcane,”Proc. First Bienn. Conf. of Sugarcane Research Workers in the Indian Union, Coimbatore, 1951, 41–47.Google Scholar
- 9.Ueno, T... “Relation of rind hardness to the internal structure of sugarcane,”Rept. Govt. Sug. Exp. Sta. Tainan. Formosa, 1938,5, 21–22.Google Scholar