Studies in the formation of heterocyclic rings containing nitrogen
Synthesis of 1-benzyl-3-methyl (I), 1-beazyl-3-substituted benzyl (II) and 1-methyl-3-substituted benzyl (III)-2-aryl benzimidazolines is described. (I) acc obtained by the condensation of N1benzyl-N2methyl-o-phenylenediamine with various aldehydes in metharol. Compounds (II) are prepared from N1-benzyl-N2-arylidene-o-phenylenediamines in acetic acid, through a process of disproportionation involving an oxidation-reduction process. Likewise, (III) are obtained from N1-methyl-N2-arylidenc-o-phenylenediamines. The exact structure of N1-benzyl-N2-arylidene-o-phenylenediamines which can exist in the open chain form or in the ring form has been investigated using nmr spectroscopy.
KeywordsAromatic Aldehyde Heterocyclic Ring Methine Proton Azomethine Proton Open Chain Form
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.El’tsov, A. V. and Aleksander, Kh. L. M.,J. Org. Chem. (USSR),1 1307 (1965);Chem. Abstr. 63 13238 (1965).Google Scholar
- 4.El’tsov, A. V. and Kuznetsov, V. S.,J. Org. Chem. (USSR) 2 1982 (1966);Chem. Abstr. 6 46368 (1967).Google Scholar
- 5.Veeranagaiah, V., Ratnam, C. V. and Rao, N. V. S.,Indian J. Chem. 6 279 (1968);10 133 (1972).Google Scholar
- 6.Veeranagaiah, V., Ratnam, C. V. and Rao, N. V. S.,Proc. Indian Acad. Sci. 79 230 (1974).Google Scholar
- 8.Veeranagaiah, V., Ratnam, C. V. and Rao, N. V. S.,Indian J. Chem. 7 776 (1969).Google Scholar