Some observations on the performance of balloons from the rate of rotation of the fan in the F-Type radiosonde
If the rate of ascent of the balloon is constant, the rate of rotation of the fan in the F-Type radiosonde should decrease with height, due to the decrease in the density of the air. It was observed from the radiosonde ascents of Minicoy that the rate of rotation of the fan remained almost unchanged up to even 100 mb. It is shown that this is due to the increase in the rate of ascent of the balloon by about 2% of the value near the ground per km. ascent. Positive evidence of turbulence in the stratosphere is provided by the large fluctuations in the rate of rotation of the fan. It is also observed that the balloon whose fabric at the 50 mb. level is about 0·014 mm. thick bursts due to the turbulence.
KeywordsLarge Fluctuation Ches STRATOS Positive Evidence Vertical Speed
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Venkiteshwaran, S. P...Indian J. Met. and Geophys., 1952,3 (3), 40–48.Google Scholar
- —— and Huddar, B. B... Ibid., 1966,17 (4), 563–66.Google Scholar
- Middleton, W. E. K. ..Met. Instruments, Second Edition, The University of Toronto, 1943, p. 59.Google Scholar
- Sinha, K. L...Weather, 1954,9(1), 1–8.Google Scholar
- Anna Mani, Sivaraman, K. R. and Venkiteshwaran, S. P.Indian J. Met. and Geophys., 1959,10(2), 179–84.Google Scholar