Cancer of the hypopharynx — A clinical study of 290 cases
- 9 Downloads
Between 1986–1990, 290 patients with squamouscell carcinoma of the hypopharynx were assessed at the S. S. K. M. Hospital Calcutta, out of the total of 1460 number of Head Neck cancer, (19.8%). The most frequent initial symptom was a foreign body sensation in the throat (70%), and males were affected more than females (9.8 : 1.2). The peak age incidence was found between 40 and 50 years (24%). Most of the patients came in advanced stages with cervical lymph node metastases (60%).
One interesting fact that came out from the present study is the Right pyriform fassa was more commonly affected than the left in righthanded persons (56.9%). Though the reason is not clear it could be due to right — sided swallow, as one side may be predominant in funtion.
KeywordsMedical Officer Neck Node Cervical Lymph Node Metastasis Pyriform Sinus Posterior Pharyngeal Wall
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1).Ackerman & del Regato (1985): Cancer Diagnosis, Treatment and prognosis. The C. V. Mosby Co. — 6th Edition, St. Louis. Toronto, Princeton; (346–358).Google Scholar
- 2).Brown, P. M., Devine, K. D. (1960): Cancer of the Pyriform Sinus.Archives — Otolaryngology,72: 192–198.Google Scholar
- 4).Carpenter III. Robert J, Lawrence W. De Santo, Kenneth D. Devine, William F. Taylor (1976): Cancer Hypopharynx. Analysis of Treatment and Results in 162 patients,Archives of Laryngology 102: (716–721).Google Scholar
- 5).Fletcher Gilbert H (1980) in collaboration with Goepfert Helmuth (1980): Larynx and pyriform sinus Text Book of 3rd Edition pub. By Lea & Febiger, Philadelphaia (330–369).Google Scholar
- 6).Goepfert Helmuth (1981): Carcinoma of the Hypopharynx and Cervical Oesophagus. Cancer of the Head and Neck. Edited by Suen and Myers. Published by Churchill Livingstone (N. Y.) (415–433).Google Scholar
- 7).Jacobsson F (1951): Carcinoma of the Hypopharynx. A clinical study of 322 cases, treated at Radium-hemmet from 1939 –1947;Acta — Radiol (Stockh)35: 1–21.Google Scholar
- 8).Kirchner, John A (1975): Pyriform sinus Cancer — A clinical and Laboratory Study.Annals of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology,84: 793–803.Google Scholar
- 9).Mac Comb, William S, Fletcher Gelbert H (1967): Cancer of the Head and Neck, published by the Williams & Wilkins Co. (Beltimore) (231–240). Healey, John E; Mc Graw, John F. Gallager, Stephen H, Faulus, David D. Cancer of the Head & Neck published by the Williams & Wilkins Co. (Baltimore) (213–240).Google Scholar
- 10).Paymaster, J. C. (1962): Some observations on oral and Pharyngeal Carcinoma in the state of Bombay.Journal of American Cancer Society edited by John W. Berag and and published by J. B. Lippincott Co. 1962, Philadelphia, London, Montreal,15: 573–583.Google Scholar
- 11).Paymaster, J. C. (1965): Oral and pharyngeal Cancer in India. Cancer of the Head & Neck. (Papers presented at International workshop on Cancer of the Head & Neck (N. Y. City). Edited by John Conley and published at Butterworths, Washington (1967) (308–316)Google Scholar