Simplification of thermal vestibular test with special reference to OGI test
- 8 Downloads
The vertigo and nystagmus are the results of vestibular stimulation and effected by ocular fixation. This study was conducted in twenty five cases each of peripheral and central vestibulopathy for oculagyric illusion based, caloric (OGI) test and 20 cases for OGI and Isothermal Binaural Simultaneous Caloric Irrigations (Brookler test). Duration of induced nystagmus was 60 to 200 seconds on caloric test and 84 to 260 seconds on OGI caloric test. Brocher test revealed pathological DP in 2 eases which had CP and DP of more than 13% on OGI test. The response of caloric test appear similar though the nystagmography is more sensitive test followed by the culmination beat wider Frenzel glasses and best being OGI. The reliability of OGI was highest in comparison to caloric test under Frenzel glasses and ENG in eases of albinos. The relevance of these findings were discussed.
KeywordsCaloric Test Central Lesion Spontaneous Nystagmus Positional Nystagmus Ocular Fixation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Baloh, R.W., Honurubia, V. (1979): Clinical Neurophysiology of the veslibular system. Philadelphia; Devis Company.Google Scholar
- 4.Deshoock and Nijhoff (1953): Proceedings of V International Congress of Otolaryngology, Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- 6.Hinchcliffe, R. (1967): Magnitude of induced vertigo as index of caloric response,Journal of Otology and Laryngology 81: 875–885.Google Scholar
- 7.Hinchcliffe, R. (1976): In Neuro-Otology Scientific Foundation of Otolaryngology Eds. Harrison, DFN, Hinchcliffe, R., Haniman, London. 383–419Google Scholar
- 9.Jongkees, L.B.W., Mass, J.P.M., Philipzoon, A.J. (1962): Clinical nyslagmography.Practica Otolaryngologica,24: 65–93.Google Scholar
- 10.Kayan A. (1987): Diagnostic test of Balance In Scott Brown’s Otolaryngology Part-2. Edn. V edts. DaFydd Stephens, Butterworths 340 & 345.Google Scholar
- 11.Mehrotra, A.K., Mishra, S.C., Tangri, K.K. (1983): Validity of Oculogyral illusion base caloric test in reference to the response decline on Retesting.Indian Journal of Otolaryngol 35(1): 1–4.Google Scholar
- 13.Mishra, S.C., Chhabra, D.K., Agarwal, S.P. (1980): Habituation to positional vertigo,Indian Journal of Otolaryngology 32(3): 61–64.Google Scholar
- 15.Van Egmond, A.A., Groen, JJ., Hongkees, L.B.W. (1949): The turning test with regulatable stimuli V. Is Ewald’s law valid in Man ?J. Laryngol & Otol. 63: 289.Google Scholar
- 16.Visser, S.L. (1960): Some aspects of evaluating electronystagmogrphic examination of clinical neurology.Folia Psychiatrica Neurologica et Neuro Chirugica NeerLandica,66: 24–44Google Scholar