A new type of adrenal tumor and its comparative histopathology
- 13 Downloads
DMB induced tumors in the adrenal glands of intact, sterile-mated or mammectomised C3H (Jax) female mice. Fewer tumors developed when a small single dose of DMB was given while the female was pseudopregnant. The tumors occurred in 10–30% of the mice and involved one or both adrenals. They were microscopical or large encapsulated growths of upto 10 mm. in size and were transplantable.
The tumors started as tiny nodules in the subcapsular region, expanding and replacing the entire adrenal gland. They were undifferentiated, consisting of cells with dark spindle or plump ovoid nuclei with chromatin granules. The cytoplasm was scanty. Mitoses were few. There was abundant reticulum in the stroma. Evidence is presented to show that these hitherto undescribed tumors in DMB-treated animals originate from the altered subcapsular “A” type mesenchymal cell.
KeywordsSingle Oral Dose Adrenal Tumor Granulosa Cell Tumor Zona Reticularis Microscopical Tumor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chester Jones.. “The disappearance of thex- zone of the mouse adrenal cortex during first pregnancy,”Proc. Roy. Soc. of London, 1952,139 B, 398–410.Google Scholar
- 3.Gardner, W. U... “Estrogenic effects of adrenal tumors of ovariectomised mice,”Cancer Res., 1941,1, 632–37.Google Scholar
- 4.Khanolkaret al... Quoted from Pearce,A. G. E. Histochemistry, Theoretical and Applied, Little Brown & Co., Boston, 1960, p. 867.Google Scholar
- 7.----- .. “Studies in carcinogenesis after total mammectomy.Abstract: Proc. Second National Cancer Congress, Madras, January 1964, p. 28.Google Scholar
- 10.Woolley, G. W. and Little, C. C. “The incidence of adrenal cortical carcinoma in gonadectomised female mice of the extreme dilution strain. I. Observations on the adrenal cortex,”Cancer Res., 1945,5, 193–202.Google Scholar