Observations on wing development in aphids
An account of the results of experiments regarding overcrowding of aphids on plants and subjection of aphids to darkness as factors in the wing development of aphidsMacrosiphum jaceæ is given.
It is observed that poor nutrition due to overcrowding induces to a large extent wing development in aphids.
Subjection of aphids to increasing hours of darkness did not produce winged forms of aphids.
KeywordsAlate Form Winged Form Wing Development Alate Aphid Viviparous Female
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
- *2.Brittain, W. H...Proc. Canadian ent. Soc., 1921,7, 7–29.Google Scholar
- 4.Davidson, J...Proc. Roy. Dublin Soc. Sci., 1921a,16, 304–22.Google Scholar
- 7.Reinhardt, H. J...Bull. Texas agric. expt. sta., 1927,353, 1–19.Google Scholar
- *10.Schaefer, C. W...J. agric. Res. Wash., 1938,57, 825–41.Google Scholar
- 11.Frank Wilson ..Trans. ent. Soc. Lond., 1938, 87.Google Scholar
- 12.Gray, K. W. and Schah, J.J. econ. Ento., 1941,30, 411.Google Scholar
- 13.Ratan Lal..Indian J. Ent., 1952,14 (1), 11–19.Google Scholar
© Indian Academy of Sciences 1956