The characteristics and questionable taxonomic position of the oxalate-decomposing bacterium,Vibrio extorquens
- 14 Downloads
A detailed account of the morphological, staining, penicillin sensitivity and serological peculiarities of five strains of an oxalate-decomposing bacterium including the well-recognized strainVibrio extorquens, has been given. Inasmuch as all the strains share many of the characteristics of the genusArthrobacter and notVibrio the desirability of placing the bacterium in the former genus for the time being has been suggested. The possibility of the strains falling under an altogether new genus which represent a phylogenic link between the pseudomonads and diphtheroids has been speculated.
KeywordsOxalate Taxonomic Position Polar Flagellum Young Culture Lateral Flagellum
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bassalik, K... “Über die Verabietung der Oxalsaure durchBacillus extorquens n.sp.,”Jahrb. wiss. Botan., 1913,53, 255–302.Google Scholar
- Bhat, J. V. and Barker, H. A... “Studies on a new oxalate-decomposing bacterium,Vibrio oxaliticus,”J. Bact., 1948,55, 359–68.Google Scholar
- -- and Khambata, S. R. .. “Microbial decomposition of oxalate,”Soc. Biol. Chem. India, Silver Jubilee Souvenir, 1955, 186–90.Google Scholar
- Breed, R. S., Murray, E. G. D. and Smith, N. R.Bergey’s Manual of Determinative Bacteriology, 1957, 7th edition, Williams and Wilkins Co., Baltimore.Google Scholar
- Janota, L... “Przebieg zuzywania kwasu s zczawowego przezPseudomonas extorquens Bassalik, w zalezonosci od poczatkoweg licsby komorek,”Med. Doswiadczalna i Mikrobiol., 1950,2, 131–32.Google Scholar
- Robinow, C. F... “Nuclear apparatus and cell-structure of rod-shaped bacteria,”Addendum to The Bacterial Cell, by R. J. Dubos, Harvard University Press, 1945, Camb., Mass.Google Scholar
- Society of American Bacteriologists, Book Co. Inc.Manual of Microbiological Methods, 1957, McGraw-HillGoogle Scholar