Factors influencing endotrophic sporulation in aerobic sporeforming bacilli
- 33 Downloads
The ability of strains of representative species of sporeforming bacilli to sporulate endotrophically in distilled water has been demonstrated. The degree of sporulation which a bacterium may undergo is a strain specific character but some species are more capable than others. The effect of various exogenous compounds on the phenomenon has been studied. It has been observed that various metallic salts, organic acids and autoclaved carbohydrates inhibit sporulation at concentrations that are growth inhibitory in nutrient media. It has been postulated that all or most growth inhibitory substances may at similar or lower concentrations inhibit endotrophic sporulation. A hitherto accepted procedure of sterilisation, the autoclaving of concentrated aqueous solutions of sugars, has been found to enhance the ability of the sugar to inhibit sporulation. None of the growth factors tested had any effect on sporulation.
KeywordsHexose Bacillus Cereus Nutrient Broth Metallic Salt Manganese Chloride
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bhat, J. V. and Iyer, V... “Aerobic mesophilic sporeforming bacteria in Indian environments,”Proc. Ind. Acad. Sci., 1955,42 B, 325.Google Scholar
- Foster, J. W. and Heiligman, F. “Mineral deficiencies in complex organic media as limiting factors in sporulation,” Ibid., 1949,57, 613.Google Scholar
- Hachisuka, Y., Amaho, N., Kato, N. and Kuno, T. “About the nitrogen source required in development of germination,”Japanese Jour. Bact., 1954,9, 1129.Google Scholar
- Iyer, V. and Bhat, J. V... “Thermal resistance of certain dominant aerobic bacilli,”J. Sci. and Industr. Res., 1952,119, 427.Google Scholar
- Kanga, D. H. .. “Studies on the growth and sporulation of sporeforming bacilli in defined media,”M.Sc. Thesis, Gujarat University, 1959.Google Scholar
- Krishna Murthy, G. G. and Halvorson, H. O. “Effect of enzyme inhibitors on germination of and growth fromB. cereus,”J. Bact., 1957,73, 230.Google Scholar
- Williams, O. H. and Lamanna, C. “Symposium on the biology of bacterial spores,”Bact. Revs., 1952,16, 89.Google Scholar