Studies on the embryology of microchiroptera
- 13 Downloads
Twenty-nine male specimens of the batScotophilus wroughtoni were collected during the different months of the year. Collection were made during two successive years from May 1945 to April 1947.
The weight of the testis of these bats increases from the month of December and reaches a maximum weight during February. There is an increase nearly four times in the testis-weight from September to February.
The diameter of the seminiferous tubules also increases corresponding to the increase in the testis-weight and progressively vigorous spermatogenetic activity is seen in the germ cells. The diameter of the tubules of the epididymis also increases during’ these months. The occurrence of sperms in the tubules of the testis and the epididymis indicates that the breeding season is confined to these months.
The males, like the females, probably attain their sexual maturity in their first season,i.e., before they are one year old.
KeywordsBreeding Season Sertoli Cell Seminiferous Tubule Germinal Epithelium Male Reproductive Organ
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Baker, J. R., and Bird, T. F. “Seasons in a tropical rain forest (New-Hebrides)—Part 4. Insectivorous bats (Vespertilioniæ and Rhinolo-phidæ),”J. Linn. Soc. (Zool.), 1936,40.Google Scholar
- 2.Courrier, R. “étude sur détermenisme dès charactèrs sexuels mammifères à activité leticulaire périodique,”Arch. de. Biol.,T. 1929,37.Google Scholar
- 3.Gopalakrishna, A. “Studies on the embryology of microchiroptera—Part I. Reproduction and Breeding seasons in the South Indian vespertilionid bat—Scotophiluswroughtoni (Thomas),”Proc. Ind. Acad. Sci.,1947,26, No. 5.Google Scholar
- 4.Guthrie, Mary J. “The reproductive cycles in some cave bats,”J. Mammal., 1933,14.Google Scholar
- 5.Matthews, L. Harrison “The female sexual cycle in the British horse-shoe bats,”Trans. Zool. Soc. Land., Ser. B, 1937,3.Google Scholar
- 6.“Note on the genialia and reproduction of some South African bats,”ibid., 1942,3.Google Scholar
- 7.Miller, Roland E. “Reproductive cycles in the male bats of the speciesMyotis lucifugus lucifugus and M. greisesens,”J. Morph., 1939,64, No. 2.Google Scholar
- 8.Nakano, O. “Ueber die verteilungs Gleikogens bei den Zyklischen in den Fledermaus, unduber die Nahrungsaufnahme der specimien in dem weiblichen Geschlectswege,”Folia. Anat. Japon, 1928,6.Google Scholar