Aluminium chloride, a new reagent for the condensation of β-ketonic esters with phenols
The condensation of resacetophenone with several α-substituted acetoacetates with anhydrous aluminium chloride as condensing agent has been investigated. Ethyl α-methyl-, α-ethyl-, α-benzyl-acetoacetates undergo the condensation with the formation of 5-hydroxy-6-acetyl-3-alkyl-coumarin derivatives. Negative results were obtained with ethyl α-prophyl-, α-allyl, α-chloro-acetoacetates, the original ketone being recovered. The results obtained have been discussed.
KeywordsCoumarin Aluminium Chloride Phosphorus Oxychloride Ferric Chloride Solution Dimethyl Sulphate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Sethana, Shah and ShahJ., 1938, 228.Google Scholar
- 2.Shah and ShahIbid., J., 1938, 1424.Google Scholar
- 3.Deliwala and ShahIbid. J., 1939, 1250.Google Scholar
- 4.—Proc. Ind. Acad. Sci., 1941,13 A, 352.Google Scholar
- 5.Collie and ChrystallJ., 1907,91, 1804.Ibid., J., 1907,91, 1804.Google Scholar
- 6.Desai and HamidProc. Ind. Acad. Sci., 1938,8,A, 567.Google Scholar
- 7.Sethna and ShahJ. Indian C. S., 1938,15, 383.Google Scholar