Synthetic experiments in the benzopyrone series
Starting from antiarol a convenient synthesis of 2-methyl-5: 6: 7-trimethoxy (trihydroxy) and 5: 6: 7: 4′-tetramethoxy isoflavones has been carried out. The intermediate ketones are satisfactorily obtained by the Friedel and Craft’s reaction. Since the tetramethoxy isoflavone is identical with tectorigenin trimethyl ether the constitution of tectorigenin as a monomethyl ether of 5: 6: 7: 4′-tetrahydroxy isoflavone is thus confirmed. The location of the methoxyl group is again fixed as 6- by complete ethylation of tectorigenin and synthesis of this triethyl ether by a method analogous to the one described for the trimethyl ether.
KeywordsIsoflavone Anhydrous Potassium Carbonate Ethyl Iodide Anhydrous Aluminium Chloride Tectorigenin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chari Row and Seshadri..Proc. Ind. Acad. Sci., 1952,35A, 46.Google Scholar
- 2.Baker and Robinson ..J. Chem. Soc., 1929, 152.Google Scholar
- 3.Krishnamurti and Seshadri..J.S.I.R., 1953,12 A, 120.Google Scholar
- 4.Shibata..J. Pharm. Soc. Japan, 1927,47, 380.Google Scholar
- 5.Wu..J. Chinese Chem. Soc., 1936,4, 89.Google Scholar
- 6.Asahina, Shibata and Ogawa..J. Pharm. Soc. Japan, 1928,48, 1087.Google Scholar
- 7.Chapman, Perkin and Robinson ..J. Chem. Soc., 1927, 3020.Google Scholar
- 3.Salkowski..Ber., 1879,12, 1438.Google Scholar
- 9.Krishnamurti and Seshadri..J.S.I.R., 1954,13 B, 5.Google Scholar
- 10.Bayer and Co...D.R.P., 1,89,843, 1907,11, 2003.Google Scholar
- 11.Spath and Wessely..Monatsh., 1928,49, 239.Google Scholar
- 14.Karmarkaret al...Proc. Ind. Acad. Sci., 1953,37A, 660.Google Scholar