Study in nasal allergy
- 6 Downloads
Intradermal method of skin testing is highly sensitive in detection of nasal allergen. When standard technique is used it yields 83% positive result as compared to 50% positive result when scratch test is employed.
Nasal allergens are of mild degree of antigenicity. It produces grade III skin response in (60–82%) cases when all the different types of allergens are considered together.
Inhalant allergens are by and large the commonest cause of allergic rhinitis. The road dust forms 84.5%, then the mattress dust, 78.7%.
However 64.5% cases showed sensitivity to multiple allergens.
Pollen rhinitis is rare in this part of our country.
KeywordsFood Allergy Allergic Rhinitis Road Dust Scratch Test Allergenic Extract
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Blackby, C.H.: Experimental Res. On the causes and nature of Hayfever (1873), Cited by Brown. A., Ann. Allergy, 19: 172, 1961.Google Scholar
- 2.Cole, R. (909), Cited by Brown, A: Ann. Allergy, 19: 172, 1961.Google Scholar
- 3.Foxen, E.H.M.: Diseases of Ear, Nose and Throat edited by Scott-Brown, W.G., Ballantyne, J., and Groves, J; Butterworths, London, 1971.Google Scholar
- 4.Gott bib, P.M.: The reproducibility of intradermal skin test — a Controlled study, Ann Allergy, 18:949, 1960.Google Scholar
- 5.Herxheimer, H.: The evaluation of skin test in respiratory allergy, Acta Allerggol, 7: 380, 1954.Google Scholar
- 6.Mathieson, A., Skin test and their value in paediatric allergy, Paed. Clinc. North. Amer, 1:929, 1954.Google Scholar
- 7.Ogilvie, A.C.,: Changes in skin response in Asthma, Brit. Med. J., 1:370.Google Scholar
- 8.Rackeman, F. M.: Clinical Allergy, Macmillan, New York.Google Scholar
- 9.Schloss, O.M.; (1912): Amer. J. Dis. Child., 3:341; Cited by Brown, A.: Allergy, 19:172, 1961.Google Scholar
- 10.Von Pirquet. C., (1906): Munch. Med. Wachr; 53:1437, Cited by Scott Brown in Diseases of the Ear, Nose and Throat, 2nd Ed, 1965, Butterworths, London.Google Scholar
- 11.Walker, I.C., and Adkinson, J.: J.M. Research, 37:287, Cited by Brown, A.: Ann. Allergy, 19:172, 1961.Google Scholar