Cosmic ray produced silicon-32 in near-coastal waters
- 21 Downloads
The specific activity of Silicon-32 is measured is near-coastal seawaters using anin situ method for the extraction of dissolved silica. The results are discussed in relation to the input of Si32 at the surfacevia rains, the expected variation in its concentrations due to continental run-off and influx of open ocean surface waters. The experimental results clearly demonstrate the usefulness of Si32 as a tracer for the study of the vertical structure of the ocean in the upper layers, and of seasonal variations in the types of waters entering in the coastal regions.
KeywordsSponge Absolute Concentration Siliceous Sponge Biological Removal Sponge Matrix
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Lal, D...J. Oceanog. Soc. Japan, 1962,20, 600.Google Scholar
- 2.- ..International Oceanog. Congress, Moscow, 1966.Google Scholar
- 3.Kharkar, D. P., Lal, D. and Somayajulu, B. L. K.Proc. of Symp. on Radioactive Dating, 1963, p. 175.Google Scholar
- 4.-, -, Nijampurkar, V. N., Goldberg, E. D. and Koide, M.Inter. Oceanographic Congress, Moscow, 1966.Google Scholar
- 5.Schink, D. R. ..Ph.D. Thesis, 1962, UCSD, p. 178.Google Scholar
- 7.Strickland, J. D. H. and Parsons, T. R.Bull. Fish. Res. Bd. Can., 1960,125, 55.Google Scholar
- 9.Schink, D. R...NAS-NS Monograph, 1968,3049 (Rev.), 74.Google Scholar
- 11.- and Somayajulu, B. L. K. In preparation, 1969.Google Scholar
- 13.Jayaraman, R...Indian J. Fish., 1954,1, 345.Google Scholar
- 15.The Office of the Meteorological Department, Bombay-5 Personal communication.Google Scholar
- 16.Lal, D. and Somayajulu, B. L. K. In preparation, 1969.Google Scholar