Thermal expansion of nitrates of lead, barium and strontium
- 44 Downloads
The expansion coefficients of barium, strontium and lead nitrates have been studied above room temperatures. Lead nitrate decomposes rapidly beyond 200° C. while crystals of barium nitrate crack above 270° C. Strontium nitrate exhibited no such phenomena till 550° C.
These crystals are isomorphous. The expansion coefficients of lead and strontium nitrates are nearly equal; they also possess the same ionic radii. Barium nitrate has a considerably smaller expansion coefficient though its ionic radius is larger than for the other two. This peculiar behaviour of barium nitrate indicates a stronger binding in this crystal—a fact which is supported by measurements on the elastic constants, Raman effect, solubilities of these salts and a study of the magneto-optic anomaly of aqueous solutions of these salts.
KeywordsBarium Strontium Elastic Constant Expansion Coefficient Lead Nitrate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bhimasenachar and Seshagiri RaoProc. Nat. Inst. Sci., 1950,16, 235.Google Scholar
- 3.Couture and Mathieu..Comptes Rendus, 1947,225, 1140.Google Scholar
- 3a.—..Ann. de. Phys. 1948,3, 521.Google Scholar
- 4.Gruneisen ..Handbuch d. Physik., Bd. X, Kap. 1, 1914.Google Scholar
- 6.Mellor..Inorg. & Theo. Chem., 1924,3, 849.Google Scholar
- 7.Press, D. C...Proc. Ind. Acad. Sci., 1950,30A, 284.Google Scholar
- 8.Ramaseshan, S...Ibid., 1950,31A, 172.Google Scholar
- 9.Regnault, H. V...Ann. Chim. Phys., 1841,1 (3), 129.Google Scholar