Aromatic nucleophilic substitutions. Reactions of halogeno and nitro-substituted benzenes—part II
The kinetics of the reaction of 2, 4-dinitro-1-bromo benzene and 2, 4-dinitro-1-iodo benzene with various aromatic bases has been studied in alcohol, alcohol-acetonitrile, alcohol-dimethylformamide and alcohol-dimethyl sulfoxide mixtures. The halogen order observed is Br > Cl > I. No base catalysis has been observed under these conditions. ρ values have been computed. Mechanism of the aromatic nucleophilic substitution is discussed.
KeywordsOrder Rate Constant British Drug House Aromatic Nucleophilic Substitution Reaction Ratio Alcohol Aromatic Basis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Clarke, H. T. ..A Hand-book of Organic Analysis, Qualitative and Quantitative, Orient Longmans, 1963, p. 174.Google Scholar
- 3a.Chapman, N. B., Parker, R. E. and Soanes, P. W.J. Chem. Soc., 1954, p. 2109.Google Scholar
- 3c.Chapman, N. B. and Parker, R. E.J. Chem. Soc., 1951, p. 3301.Google Scholar
- 4.Parker, R. E. and Read, T. O.Ibid., 1962, p. 9.Google Scholar
- 5.Ross, S. D. .. “Nucleophilic aromatic substitutions,” Progress in Physical Organic Chemistry, Vol. I, Interscience Publishers, 1963.Google Scholar
- 8.Parker, A. J. .. “Rates of bimolecular substitution reactions,”Advances in Physical Organic Chemistry, Vol. 5, Academic Press. 1967.Google Scholar