Vibrational spectra and normal vibrations of N-methyl acetamide
- 41 Downloads
The variation in the vibrational frequencies of N-methyl acetamide in solutions compared to the frequencies of the pure amide, obtained from infra-red and Raman spectra are discussed. By splitting the molecule into two groups so that C-N is a common bond for both the groups, the normal co-ordinate treatment of N-methyl acetamide is carried out and the fundamental frequencies are calculated. On the basis of these calculations, the band at 990 cm.−1 is assigned to N-CH3 stretch. Using Gordy’s equation and the force constant for the C=O stretch, the bond order of C=O bond is calculated.
KeywordsForce Constant Rabies Vibrational Spectrum Bond Order Normal Vibration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Puranik, P. G. and Venkata Ramiah, K.Proc. Ind. Acad. Sci., 1961,54, 69.Google Scholar
- 3.Venkata Ramiah, K. and Venkata Chalapathi, V. Ibid., 1963,58, 233.Google Scholar
- 5.Katz, J. L...Diss. Abst., 1957,17, 2039.Google Scholar
- 6.Puranik, P. G. and Lalitha SirdeshmukhProc. Ind. Acad. Sci., 1962,56, 115.Google Scholar
- 8.Walter Gordy..J. Chem. Phys., 1946,14, 312.Google Scholar
- 9.Linus Pauling ..The Nature of the Chemical Bond, Cornell University Press, 1948,64.Google Scholar