The Raman spectra of some formates and the constitution of formic acid
- 62 Downloads
The Raman spectra of the formates of sodium, calcium, cadmium and lead have been investigated both as solid and as aqueous solutions and the following average frequencies have been obtained for the formate ion :-2834, 2734, 1717, 1534, 1347 and 857 cm.-1 The presence of the lines at 2834 and 2732 gives direct experimental evidence of the existence of CH group in formic acid. The solids have yielded faint lines also at 2976 and 1398. The frequencies are compared with those of formic acid and its esters and acetic acid and acetates. The presence of the line at 1534 seems to be characteristic of the formates.
KeywordsFormic Acid Raman Spectrum Calcium Salt Sodium Formate Methyl Formate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Seshadri, T. R.,Current Science, 1935,3, 383.Google Scholar
- 3.Venkateswaran, C. S.,Proc. Ind. Acad. Sci., A, 1935,1, 850;2, 119.Google Scholar
- 4.Ganesan, A. S., and Venkateswaran, S.,Ind. Jour. Phys., 1929,4, 195. Dadieu and Kohlrausch,Physikal Z., 1929,30, 384. Parthasarathy, S.,Ind. Jour. Phys., 1931,6, 287. Kohlrausch, K. W. F., Koppl, F., and Pongratz, A.,Z. f. Phys. Chem., B, 1933,21, 242.Google Scholar
- 5.Kohlrausch, K. W. F., and Pongratz, A.,Z. f. Phys. Chem., B, 1933,22, 373.Google Scholar
- 6.Krishnamurti, P.,Ind. Jour. Phys., 1931,6, 309.Google Scholar
- 7.Parthasarathy, S., —.Google Scholar
- 8.Kohlrausch, K. W. F., and Koppl, F.,Z. f. Phys. Chem., 1934,24, 370.Google Scholar
- 10.Krishnamurti, P.,Loc. cit. Google Scholar