Geometrical inversion in the acids derived from the coumarins
- 10 Downloads
The methyl ethers of thecis andtrans acids from coumarin, 7-methylcoumarin and 6-nitrocoumarin have been obtained by improved methods and their transformation in neutral, acid and alkaline media studied. It has been found that irrespective of the nature of the medium thetrans form is the one favoured, thereby showing that the unusual depletion of thetrans hydroxy acids (coumaric acids) in neutral and acid media is due to the ready formation of coumarins from the correspondingcis acids, which may exist in small proportions in equilibrium with thetrans. This ring closure is prevented in the methyl ethers. If however conditions favour the hydrolysis of the ether group as when the compounds are heated with concentrated sulphuric acid coumarin formation takes place to some extent.
KeywordsCoumarin Methyl Iodide Methyl Ether Silver Salt Dimethyl Sulphate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dey, Rao and Seshadri,J.I.C.S., 1934,11, 743.Google Scholar
- 2.Seshadri and Suryaprakasarao,Proc. Ind. Acad. Sci., (A),3, 293.Google Scholar
- 3.Seshadri and Suryaprakasarao,Proc. Ind. Acad. Sci., (A),4, 157.Google Scholar
- 4.Seshadri,Curr. Sci.,3, 19–20.Google Scholar
- 5.Perkin,J.C.S., 1881,39, 409.Google Scholar
- 6.Simonis,Die cumarine, Verlag von Ferdin and Enke, p. 86.Google Scholar
- 7.Reychler,Bull. Soc. Chem.,3, 553.Google Scholar
- 8.Clayton,J.C.S., 1910,97, 2102.Google Scholar