Free sugars in the reproductive system and haemolymph of the bedbug
- 17 Downloads
Using chromatographic procedures, two free sugars glucose and trehalose have been detected in the reproductive tissues and the haemolymph ofCimex. The seminal fluid and not the sperm has been found to possess trehalase activity. A novel feature of the metabolism of the active sperm is enzymic hydrolysis of trehalose, followed by oxidative utilisation of the hexose thus formed. The process is termed here “trehalolysis”. The depletion of the sugars has been demonstrated semiquantitatively by paper chromatography.
KeywordsTrehalose Seminal Vesicle Reproductive System Sperm Motility Paper Chromatography
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bishop, D. W... “Biology of spermatozoa,” InSex and Internal Secretions, 3rd Edition. Editor, W. C. Young, Williams and Wilkins Co., Baltimore, Md. 1961, pp. 707–96.Google Scholar
- Blum, M. S., Glowska, Z. and Taber, S. “Chemistry of the drone honey bee reproductive system—II. Carbohydrates in the reproductive organs and semen,”Ann. Ent. Soc. Amer., 1962,55, 135–39.Google Scholar
- Cleg, J. S. and Evans, D. R... “The physiology of blood trehalose and its function during flight in the blowfly,”J. Exp. Biol., 1961,38, 771–92.Google Scholar
- Frerejacque, M... “Trehalose et trehalase,”Compt. rend. Acad. Sci., 1941,213, 88–90.Google Scholar
- Howden, G. F. and Kilby, B. A. “Trehalose and trehalase in the locust,”Chemy. Ind. (London), 1956, pp. 1453–54.Google Scholar
- Humphery, G. F. and Robertson “The occurrence of fructose in the grasshopper,Locusta migratoria,”Aust. J. Sci., 1949,12, 29–30.Google Scholar
- —————..Biochemistry of Semen and of the Male Reproductive Tract, London: Methuen, 1964.Google Scholar
- Rao, H. V. .. “Biochemical and physiological studies of reproduction inCimex lectularius (Linn.), (Hemiptera, Cimicidae),”Doctoral Dissertation, University of Connecticut, Storrs, 1967.Google Scholar
- Saito, S... “Purification of trehalase,”J. Biochem., 1960,48, 101–109.Google Scholar