Nuclear methylation of resacetophenone
- 19 Downloads
The methylation of resacetophenone and its ω-methoxy derivative using methyl iodide and methyl alcoholic potash has been studied. The former gave 2-hydroxy-3-methyl-4-methoxyacetophenone the constitution of which was established by demethylation to 3-methylresacetophenone and comparison with a specimen prepared from 2-methylresorcinol. In the same way ω-methoxyresacetophenone gave 2-hydroxy-3-methyl-ω: 4-dimethoxyacetophenone which was subsequently converted to 3: 7-dimethoxy-8-methylflavone. The identity of this flavone was proved by its synthesis from 2-methyl-resorcinol.
It is concluded that under the above conditions resacetophenone undergoes nuclear methylation in the 3-position and that the hydroxyl group in the 4th position gets etherified.
KeywordsFlavone Methyl Iodide Sodium Benzoate Anhydrous Potassium Carbonate Phenone
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W. Baker and (Miss) O. M. Lothian,J.C.S., 1935, 628.Google Scholar
- 2.S. M. Sethna, N. M. Shah and R. C. Shah,Ibid. J.C.S., 1938, 228.Google Scholar
- 3.H. A. Shah and R. C. Shah,Supplement to Nature of July 23, 1938, p. 163.Google Scholar
- 4.A. G. Perkin,J.C.S., 1895, 990.Google Scholar
- 5.S. Rangaswami and T. R. Seshadri,Proc. Ind. Acad. Sci., (A), 1937,6, 116.Google Scholar
- 6.W. K. Slater and H. Stephen,J.C.S., 1920, 312.Google Scholar
- 7.J. Allan and R. Robinson,ibid. J.C.S., 1924, 2193.Google Scholar