Observations onHeliothis peltigera (Schiff.) (Lep., Noctuidae) and its natural enemies in Anand (Gujarat State, India)
- 22 Downloads
Heliothis peltigera (Schiff.) (Noctuidae) was found infesting the weedAcanthospermum hispidum at Anand (Gujarat State), and our observations indicated a close synchrony between the seasonal history ofA. hispidum andH. peltigera. Both appear with the onset of monsoon (July) and disappear as winter approaches (October/November).H. peltigera larvae were observed to feed primarily on the growing tips and terminal leaves, the young larvae forming characteristic leaf-webs. The extent of damage, population of the insect and its natural parasitism were recorded. Peak period of larval activity was in September when up to 53.3% shoots were damaged and 35 larvae/100 shoots were encountered.
The parasites recorded included the egg-parasiteTrichogramma chilotraeae Nag. and Nagar. (Trichogrammatidae), the egg-larval parasiteChelonus heliopae Gupta (Braconidae) and the larval parasitesCampoletis maculipes (Tschek),Eriborus sp.,Pristomerus sp. (all Ichneumonidae),Eucarcelia illota Curran,Palexorista laxa Curran andExorista xanthaspis Wied. (all Tachinidae). ExceptC. heliopae andPristomerus sp., all other parasites are new records onH. peltigera. T. chilotraeae was the most predominant parasite, giving consistently high degree of parasitism which reached up to 100% in October 1973.C. maculipes was next in importance which gave up to 26·7% parasitism in September 1973. A predatory ant,Camponotus sericeus (F.) (Formicidae) and larvae ofChrysopa carnea Steph. (Chrysopidae) were observed preying on youngH. peltigera larvae for the first time.
The survey revealed thatH. peltigera feeds primarily onA. hispidum and is not a serious pest of any economic plants in this region.
The distribution, host-plants and natural enemies ofH. peltigera in different countries is reviewed from literature records.
KeywordsSchiff Arachis Hypogaea Young Larva Economic Plant Natural Parasitism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hampson, G. F.,The Fauna of British India including Ceylon and Burma. Moths Vol. II Thacker, Spink and Co., Calcutta, 175 pp. (1894).Google Scholar
- 2.Patel, R. C., Patel, J. C. and Patel, J. K., New records of parasites ofHeliothis armigera (Hbn.) andHeliothis peltigera Schiff. from Gujarat.Indian J. Ent. 33 (2) 223–224 (1971).Google Scholar
- 3.Shchegolev, V. N., Pests ofArachis hypogaea in North Caucasus.J. Agric. Res. N. Caucasus 3 (20) 141–150 (1930).Google Scholar
- 4.Parfentjev, I., Les Insectes nuisibles aux plantes Medicinales en Crimee.Bull. Soc. Path. Exot. 14 (3) 164–167 (1921).Google Scholar
- 5.Printz, YA. I., The biology ofHeliothis obsoleta F. and its control. NotesApp. Sci. Dept. Tiflis Bot. Gdns. Part 2, separate 54 pp. (1925).Google Scholar
- 6.Shchegolev, V. N., The Lepidoptera of the genusHeliothis as insect pests of oil plants and. medicinal cultures and fodder plants in the North Caucasian region. Byull. Sev.—Kavkazek.Kraev. sel. khoz. opuitn. Sta. 282 48 pp. (1929).Google Scholar
- 7.Fletcher, T. B Report of the Imperial Entomologist.Sci. Rep. Agric. Res. Inst., 1918–19, 86–103 (1919).Google Scholar
- 8.Pruthi, H. S., Report of the Imperial Entomologist.Sci. Rep. Agric. Res. Inst., New Delhi 1939–40, 102–114 (1941).Google Scholar
- 9.Ghosh, C. C., Report of the Entomologist, Mandalay, and Sericultural work for the year ended 30th June 1925, 18 pp. (1926).Google Scholar
- 10.Yakhontov, V., Supplementa entomologica.Izv. Uzbek. Fil. Akad. Nauk SSSR 2 76–77 (1941).Google Scholar
- 11.Feron, M. and Vidaud, J., La mouche du carthameAcanthiophilus helianthi Rossi (Dipt.,Trypetidae) en France.Rev. Path. veg.,39 (1) 1–12 (1960).Google Scholar
- 12.Avidov, Z., (Ed.), Studies in agricultural entomology and plant pathology. Scripta hierosolymitana,18 208 pp. (1966).Google Scholar
- 13.Harpaz, I. and Zlotkin, E., A nuclear-polyhedrosis virus of the safflower leaf wormHeliothis peltigera Schiff. (Lep., Ncctuidae).Annls. Soc. ent. Fr. (N.S.) 1 (4) 963–972 (1965).Google Scholar
- 14.Reali, G., On two Lepidoptera [Vanessa cardui (L.) andHeliothis] (Chloridea)peltigera (Schiff.) injurious to soybean in Lombardy.Boll. Zool. agric. Bachic. (2)2 236–238 (1959).Google Scholar
- 15.Vasilev, I. V., Cotton pests.Cotton Indust. 3 (7–8) 88–116 (1924).Google Scholar
- 16.Zacher, F., Animal pests of curative and poisonous plants and their importance in the cultivation of medicinal plants.Ber. Deutschen pharmazeut. Ges.,31 (2) 53–65 (1921).Google Scholar
- 17.Coutinho Saraiva, A., As lagartas polifagas,Heliothis armigera (Hübner) eH. peltigera (Schiff.), no arquipelago de Capo Verde. (Polyphagous larvae,H. armigera andH. peltigera, in the Cape Verde Islands).Garcia de Orta 11 (3) 593–599 (1963).Google Scholar
- 18.Popov, P., New and rare insect species, their foodplants and distribution in Bulgaria.Rast. Zasht. 8 (3) 51–55 (1960).Google Scholar
- 19.Dirimonov, M., Some features of the morphology and bionomics ofChloridea (Heliothis) peltigera Schiff. and the prospects for its control.Rast. Zasht. 12 (1) 17–23 (1964).Google Scholar
- 20.Olchovsky, V. VObservations made in 1916on the castor oil plant in the Baku District. Baku Dageston Provincial Bureau for combating pests of agriculture, 8 pp. (1917).Google Scholar
- 21.Buresch, I., The Nocturnal Lepidoptera of Bulgaria with special reference to the harmful species.Mem. Bulgarian Soc. 7 9–100 (1914).Google Scholar
- 22.Fagniez, C., Une invasion deChloridea peltigera Schiff. Lepidoptera nuisible a la sauge sclaree, arretee par l’ intervention dePolistes gallicus L. (Hymen.).Rev. franc. Ent. 1 (1) 27–28 (1934).Google Scholar
- 23.Noel, P., Les ennemis du Mais (Zea L.). (The pests of maize).Bull. Lab. Reg. d’ Entom. Agric. pp. 6–10 (1917).Google Scholar
- 24.Anglade, P., Degats deChloridea (Heliothis) peltigera Schiff. sur mais dans le sud-ouest. Damage byH. peltigera to maize in south-western France).Rev. Zool. agric. 62 (4–6) 57 (1963).Google Scholar
- 25.Morley and Rait Smith,Trans. Roy. Ent. Soc., London,81 133–183 (1933).Google Scholar
- 26.Thompson, W. R.,A catalogue of the parasites and predators of insect pests, Sec. I, Parasite-Host catalogue: part 7,Parasite of the Lepidoptera (G-M). Imperial Agr. Bureau, Inst. of Ent., Parasite Service, p. 290 (1946).Google Scholar