Mechanism of polyoxin resistance
- 51 Downloads
In polyoxin-resistant strains of Alternaria kikuchiana, the synthesis of cell-wall chitin was scarcely inhibited by polyoxin B, although chitin synthetase preparations of them showed a level of polyoxin sensitivity similar to those of sensitive strains. A decrease of14C-labelled polyoxin uptake was correlated with an increased level of polyoxin resistance in various strains. The amount of14C-polyoxin A or3H-polyoxin A accumulated in a highly resistant strain was less than 10% of that in a sensitive strain. These results indicate that resistant strains have a reduced capacity to take up polyoxin A or B.
KeywordsChitin Chitinase Resistant Strain GlcNAc Chitin Synthesis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hori, M., Eguchi, J., Kakiki, K., & Misato, T., 1974a. Studies on the mode of action of polyoxins. VI. Effect of polyoxin B on chitin synthesis in polyoxin-sensitive and resistant strains of Alternaria kikuchiana. J. Antibiot., Tokyo 27: 260–266.Google Scholar
- Hori, M., Kakiki, K., & Misato, T., 1974b. Studies on the mode of action of polyoxins. IV. Further studies on the relation of polyoxin structure to chitin synthetase inhibition. Agric. biol. Chem. 38: 691–698.Google Scholar
- Hori, M., Kakiki, K., & Misato, T., 1975. Preparation of radioactive polyoxins A, B, C and I. J. Antibiot., Tokyo 28A: 237–239.Google Scholar
- Hori, M., Kakiki, K., Suzuki, S., & Misato, T., 1971. Studies on the mode of action of polyoxins. III. Relation of polyoxin structure to chitin synthetase inhibition. Agric. biol. chem. 35: 1280–1291.Google Scholar
- Isono, K., Suzuki, S., Tanaka, M., Nanbata, T., & Shibuya, K., 1970. Bisulfite-catalyzed facile decarboxylation reaction of 5-carboxyuracil derivatives and transformation of polyoxins. Tetrahedron 6: 425–428.Google Scholar
- Mitani, M., & Inoue, Y., 1968. Antagonists of antifungal substance polyoxin. J. Antibiot., Tokyo 21: 492–496.Google Scholar
- Ohta, N., Kakiki, K., & Misato, T., 1970. Studies on the mode of action of polyoxin D. II. Effect of polyoxin D on the synthesis of fungal cell wall Chitin. Agric. biol. Chem. 34: 1224–1234.Google Scholar
- Sasaki, S., Ohta, N., Yamaguchi, I., Kuroda, S., & Misato, T., 1968. Studies on polyoxin action. I. Effect on respiration and synthesis of protein, nucleic acids and cell wall of fungi. J. agric. chem. Soc. Japan 42: 633–638.Google Scholar