Production of oospores by Peronospora viciae f.sp. fabae
- 80 Downloads
Oospore production inVicia faba, cv. Metissa, was quantified in the field after plants had been inoculated with a sporangium suspension of a homothallic isolate ofPeronospora viciae f.sp.fabae. Oospores were produced abundantly during the hole growing season from 3 weeks after inoculation on. Oospores were found in all plant parts above soil level, except in the seeds. Most oospores were found in the leaves. Less oospores were formed in leaves inoculated in an older stage than in those inoculated in a younger stage. Towards the end of the season, in August, numbers of oospores in pods strongly increased.
Oospore production in leaves of three cultivars, Metissa, Toret and Maris Bead, was studied in growth chambers at 5, 10, 15 and 20 °C at 16 h light. Oospores were formed earlier at higher temperatures than at lower temperatures. The ultimate numbers of oospores produced in leaves were highest at 10 and 15 °C. Similar numbers of oospores were formed in leaves of cultivars Metissa and Toret. In leaves of cv. Maris Bead significant less oospores were produced than in leaves of cv. Metissa and cv. Toret. Total numbers of oospores produced were not related to the level of host plant resistance to downy mildew. The percentage of asexually sporulating leaf area, assessed in a resistance test, was largest in cv. Metissa and smallest in cv. Toret.
Additional keywordsdowny mildew resistance sexual reproduction temperature Vicia faba L.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Allard, C., 1970. Recherches sur la biologie du mildiou du pois. Annales de Phytopathologie 2: 87–115.Google Scholar
- Arens, K., 1930. Untersuchungen überPseudoperonospora humuli (Miyabe u. Takah.) den Erreger der neuen Hopfenkrankheit. Phytopathologische Zeitschrift 1: 169–193.Google Scholar
- Dixon, G.R., 1981. Downy mildews on peas and beans. In: D.M. Spencer (Ed.), The downy mildews. Academic Press, London. pp. 487–514.Google Scholar
- Glasscock, H.H., 1963. Downy mildew of broad bean. Plant Pathology 12: 91–92.Google Scholar
- Inaba, T. & Hino, T., 1980. Influence of water and temperature on oogonium and oospore formation of downy mildew fungus,Peronospora manshurica, in soybean lesions. Annals of the Phytopathological Society Japan 46: 480–486.Google Scholar
- Inaba, T. & Hino, T., 1981. Influence of water and humidity on oospore formation of several downy mildew fungi. Annals of the Phytopathological Society Japan 47: 694–696.Google Scholar
- Jamoussi, B., 1968. Attaque de mildiou sur fève. Archives de l’Institut Pasteur de Tunis 45: 117–127.Google Scholar
- Kittlitz, E. von, Kries, A. von, Meier, U., Stulpnagel, R. & Wittstock, I.M., 1984. Entwicklungsstadien der Fababohne, Biologische Bundesanstalt für Land-und Fortswirtschaft, Merkblatt Nr 27/10 Braunsweig, 11 pp.Google Scholar
- Matthews, P., 1981. Breeding for resistance to downy mildews. In: D.M. Spencer (Ed), The downy mildews. Academic Press, London. p. 165–181.Google Scholar
- Michelmore, R.W., 1981. Sexual and asexual sporulation in the Downy Mildews. In: D.M. Spencer (Ed.), The downy mildews. Academic Press, London. p. 165–181.Google Scholar
- Mukerji, K.G., 1975.Peronospora viciae. Descriptions of pathogenic fungi and bacteria no. 455. Commonwealth Mycological Institute, Kew. UK.Google Scholar
- Niks, R.E., 1986. Failure of haustorial development as a factor in slow growth and development ofPuccinia hordei, in partially resistant barley seedlings. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 28: 309–322.Google Scholar
- Populer, C., 1981. Epidemiology of downy mildews. In: D.M. Spencer (Ed.), The downy mildews. Academic Press, London. p. 57–105.Google Scholar
- Ramsey, G.B., 1931. Oospore stage ofPeronospora viciae on peas. Plant Disease Reporter 15: 52–53.Google Scholar
- Reiling, T.P., 1984. Downy mildew. In: D.J. Hagedorn (Ed.), Compendium of pea diseases. American Phytopathological Society. p. 19–21.Google Scholar
- Stegmark, R., 1992. Breeding for partial resistance to downy mildew in peas. Department of Plant Breeding Research. The Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences. Dissertation. 94 pp.Google Scholar
- Von Heydendorff, R.C., 1977. Untersuchungen zur Biologie vonPeronospora pisi Syd., dem Erreger des falschen Mehltaus an Erbsen, als Grundlage für die Züchtung resistenter Sorten. Dissertation. 136 pp.Google Scholar