Total knee arthroplasty on the disease activity of rheumatoid arthritis
- 31 Downloads
The effects of total knee arthroplasty (TKA) on the disease activity of rheumatoid arthritis (RA) was investigated in the present study. The disease activity of RA in 58 patients who had undergone simultaneous bilateral TKA (116 knee joints) was examined before, and 1, 6 and 12 months and 3 and 5 years after the operation. The disease activity was assessed using the simplified Lansbury index according to the duration of morning stiffness, grip strength, joint count and erythrocyte sedimentation rate. In addition, C-reactive protein (CRP) and rheumatoid factor were also measured. The mean simplified Lansbury index and CRP significantly improved 1, 6 and 12 months after TKA surgery compared to preoperative levels. However, 3 and 5 years after TKA, the mean simplified Lansbury index indicated that the disease activity remained lower than the preoperative level in only 21 (36%) patients. The results of the present study demonstrate that TKA lowers RA activity for at least 1 year after surgery, and thus synovectomy and surgical resection of articular cartilage in the knee joint appear to have an anti-rheumatoid effect.
Key wordsRheumatoid arthritis total knee arthroplasty disease activity evaluation Lansbury index
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Aibe K, Ryu J, Saito Set al., Effects of total knee arthroplasty on activity of rheumatoid arthritis,Jpn J Rheum Joint Surg 15, 309–314 (1996) (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 2.Larsen A, Dale K, Eek M, Radiographic evaluation of rheumatoid arthritis and related condition by standard reference films,Acta Radiol Diagn 18, 481–491 (1977).Google Scholar
- 4.Lansbury J, Numerical method of evaluating the status of rheumatoid arthritis,Ann Rheum Dis 16, 101–107 (1957).Google Scholar
- 6.Lane V, Vainio K, Orthopedic surgery in rheumatoid arthritis,Bull Rheum Dis 15, 360–366 (1964).Google Scholar
- 8.Aiden HP, Baker LD, Synovectomy of knee joint in rheumatoid arthritis,J Am Med Ass 187, 4–6 (1964).Google Scholar
- 9.Wakitani S, Ochi T, Owaki Het al., Indication of surgery treatment for rheumatoid knee,Rinsho Seikei Geka 24, 907–913 (1989) (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 10.Takasugi K, The disease activity before and after the surgery in rheumatoid arthritis,Ryumachi 27, 459–460 (1987) (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 11.Mitani H, Fuji M, Takeda Tet al., Follow-up study of total knee replacement,Cent Jpn J Orthop Traumat 29, 798–799 (1986) (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 14.Tateisi H, Yamada H, You Ket al., Should patella be replaced or not during TKA in RA,Cent Jpn J Orthop Traumat 34, 1365–1366 (1991) (in Japanese).Google Scholar