Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura in a patient with a diffuse form of systemic sclerosis
This paper presents a patient with a rapidly progressive diffuse form of systemic sclerosis, in whom a clinical course thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP) also developed. In spite of treatment with plasmapheresis, predonisolone, aspirin and vincristine, she died of pulmonary bleeding. From the analysis of four other reported cases of scleroderma with TTP and this case, the outcome of TTP seems to be closely related to clinical manifestations. It is suggested that a diffuse form of scleroderma with interstitional manifestations would develop a worse outcome; on the other hand, a limited form without interstitional manifestations has a successful outcome.
Key wordsThrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura systemic sclerosis plasma exchange vincristine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Blackman NS, Cohen BM, Watson J, Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura; report of a case,J Am Med Ass 148, 546–548 (1952).Google Scholar
- 6.Saitoh M, Wada H, Tanigawa M, The change of von Willebrand factor multimer in a course of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura,Jpn J Clin Hematol 32, 1006–1008 (1991).Google Scholar
- 8.Ricken DM, Sharma HM, Nahman NS Jr, A cute renal failure with glomerula thrombosis in a patient with chronic scleroderma,Am J Kidney Dis 14, 524–526 (1989).Google Scholar
- 10.Ando J, Hanawa N, Inokuma Set al., Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura with pleural effusion complicating PSS,Kanto Regional conference 23, 191–201 (1990).Google Scholar
- 11.Kimberly RP, Pulse methylprednisolone in SLE,Clin Reum Dis 8, 261–278 (1982).Google Scholar