Knowledge information processing language: ShapeUp
- 10 Downloads
A new logic programming language, ShapeUp, is developed. ShapeUp is an expanded Prolog system with string matching facilities. The language has been developed to give programmers a new computer programming environment, especially for knowledge information processing. This area includes natural language comprehension and intelligent text processing systems with better man-machine interfaces. For this kind of application, character string data play a principal part rather than conventional numerical data. In ShapeUp, string patterns are introduced as Prolog ‘terms’. Their matching process is performed inside the unification. Thus, a program is far simpler and easier to write and read in ShapeUp, than in conventional Prolog systems, and program size is extremely reduced.
KeywordsLogic Programming Language String Matching Knowledge Information Processing PROLOG
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1).Pereira, F. C. N. and Warren, D. H. D.: “User’s guide to DEC system-10 PROLOG” (Dept. of Artificial Intelligence, Univ. of Edinburgh, 1978).Google Scholar
- 2).Roussel, P.: “Prolog Manuel de Reference et d’Utilisation” (Groupe d’Intelligence Artificielle, Marseille-Luminy, 1975).Google Scholar
- 3).McCabe, F. G.: “Micro-Prolog Programmer’s Reference Manual” (Logic Programming Associates Ltd., 1981).Google Scholar
- 4).Siekmann, J. and Szabo, P.: “Universal Unification and a Classification of Equational Theories”, Lecture Note in Computer Science,No. 138 (1982).Google Scholar
- 5).Griswold, R. E.: “The SNOBOL4 Programming Language”, (2nd ed.) (Prentice-Hall, 1971).Google Scholar
- 6).Morris, J. H., Schmidt, E. and Wadler, P.: “Experience with an applicative string processing language,” in Proc. 7th POPL (1980).Google Scholar