The dipole moment and structure of some cyclic anhydrides: Phthalic, succinic and citraconic anhydrides
The moments of phthalic, citraconic and succinic anhydrides have been measured, the first two in benzene as solvent and the last in dioxane. The moment values at 20° C. are respectively 5·25, 4·27, and 4·20×10−18 e.s.u.
The moment values are considerably high compared with the moments of the corresponding compounds phthalic and succinic imides.
The moments are interpreted as due to a strong resonance structure, which reverses the normal direction of moment to be expected from vectorial addition.
KeywordsDipole Moment Anhydride Dioxane Succinic Acid Imide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. A. Govinda Rau,Proc. Ind. Acad. Sci. (A), 1936,4, 687.Google Scholar
- 2.M. A. Govinda Rau and B. N. Narayanaswamy,Ibid.,, 1935,1, 489.Google Scholar
- 5.F. Anderlini,Gass. Chim., Ital., 1895,25 (ii), 142.Google Scholar
- 6.Knops,Ann. d. Chem., 1888,248, 175.Google Scholar
- 8.E. G. Cowley and J. R. Partington,Journ. Chem. Soc., 1936, 47.Google Scholar
- 10.L. Pauling and J. Sherman,Journ. Chem. Physics, 1933,1, 605.Google Scholar
- 11.M. A. Govinda Rau and B. N. Narayanaswamy,Zeit. Physikal Chem., (B), 1934,26, 42.Google Scholar