The dipole moment and structure of some cyclic anhydrides: Phthalic, succinic and citraconic anhydrides
- 31 Downloads
The moments of phthalic, citraconic and succinic anhydrides have been measured, the first two in benzene as solvent and the last in dioxane. The moment values at 20° C. are respectively 5·25, 4·27, and 4·20×10−18 e.s.u.
The moment values are considerably high compared with the moments of the corresponding compounds phthalic and succinic imides.
The moments are interpreted as due to a strong resonance structure, which reverses the normal direction of moment to be expected from vectorial addition.
KeywordsDipole Moment Anhydride Dioxane Succinic Acid Imide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. A. Govinda Rau,Proc. Ind. Acad. Sci. (A), 1936,4, 687.Google Scholar
- 2.M. A. Govinda Rau and B. N. Narayanaswamy,Ibid.,, 1935,1, 489.Google Scholar
- 5.F. Anderlini,Gass. Chim., Ital., 1895,25 (ii), 142.Google Scholar
- 6.Knops,Ann. d. Chem., 1888,248, 175.Google Scholar
- 8.E. G. Cowley and J. R. Partington,Journ. Chem. Soc., 1936, 47.Google Scholar
- 10.L. Pauling and J. Sherman,Journ. Chem. Physics, 1933,1, 605.Google Scholar
- 11.M. A. Govinda Rau and B. N. Narayanaswamy,Zeit. Physikal Chem., (B), 1934,26, 42.Google Scholar