Effects of sertoli cell-conditioned medium on ventral midbrain neural stem cells: A preliminary report
- 78 Downloads
The 796RMB cell line is a multipotent stem cell line isolated from human fetal midbrain tissues, a region from which dopamine neurons of the substantia nigra develop. It would be useful to increase the dopaminergic characteristics of this cell line to enhance its usefulness as a cell therapy for Parkinson’s disease utilizing transplantation protocols. Sertoli cells and its conditioned media isolated from the testis have been previously shown to enhance tyrosine hydroxylase expression in ventral mesencephalon neurons bothin vitro andin vivo. Therefore, the present preliminary study investigated the ability of Sertoli cell pre-conditioned medium to enhance differentiation of the 796MB cell line toward the domaminergic phenotype. Results showed that secretory products derived from Sertoli cell conditioned medium increased cell proliferation and enhanced dopaminergic neuronal differentiation of the 796RMB cell line. These findings may lead to alternative therapeutic cell transplantation protocols for the treatment of Parkinson’s disease.
KeywordsSertoli cells Stem cells Parkinson’s disease Fetal tissue Growth factors
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ostenfeld T, MA Caldwell, KR Prowse, MH Linskens, E Jauniaux and CN Svendsen (2000) Human neural precursor cells express low levels of telomerasein vitro and show diminishing cell proliferation with extensive axonal outgrowth following transplantation.Exp. Neurol. 164, 215–226.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Skinner (1993) Secretion of growth factors and other regulatory factors, In:The Sertoli Cell (Russel LD MD Griswold, Eds.) (Cache River Press:Clearwater,FL), pp 237–248.Google Scholar
- Viglietto G, S Dolci, P Bruni, G Baldassarre, L Chiariotti, RM Melillo, G Salvatore, G Chiappetta, F Sferratore, A Fusco and M Santoro (2000) Glial cell line-derived neutrotrophic factor and neurturin can act as paracrine growth factors stimulating DNA synthesis of Ret-expressing spermatogonia.Int. J. Oncol. 16, 689–694.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Widenfalk J, C Nosrat, A Tomac, H Westphal, B Hoffer and L Olson (1997) Neurturin and glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor receptor-β (GDNFR-β), novel proteins related to GDNF and GDNFR-α with specific cellular patterns of expression suggesting roles in the developing and adult nervous system and in peripheral organs.J. Neurosci. 17, 8506–8519.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Yan, J, L Xu, D Chen, AM Welsh, T Hazel, K Johe, G Hatfield and VE Koliatsos (2006) Human neural stem cell grafts ameliorate motor neuron disease in SOD transgenic rats.Transplant. 82, 865–875.Google Scholar