Lineaments and tectonic analysis through landsat imagery and its implications on the evaluation of bauxite and laterite deposits in and around Panchpatmali area, Koraput District, Orissa
- 39 Downloads
Lineaments of Panchpatmali plateau and the adjoining areas in Koraput District, Orissa, lying on the East Coast of India, were analysed to elucidate their influence on the occurrence of’ laterite/bauxite duricrust of the area. A detailed lineament map and a map of the explored and expected deposits of laterite and bauxite of the areas have been prepared from satellite imagery after ‘Band Ratioing’ and ‘Maximum Likelihood Classification’ and ground truth study. Development of laterite/bauxite plateaus follows the regional lineament trend of NE - SW, probably due to the tectonic activities in the area. It has been observed that there are atleast two major planation surfaces - the older one shows complete development of laterite/bauxite duricrust, whereas the younger planation surfaces are devoid of any.
KeywordsSatellite Imagery Gibbsite Landsat Imagery Maximum Likelihood Classification Eastern Ghat
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bannerjee P K (1965). Bauxite in Kashipur tahsil, Koraput district, Orissa,Ind. Min., 19(2): 175–182.Google Scholar
- Dutt N V H S (1979). The locale of bauxitization in the Eastern Ghats, Andhra Pradesh,Proc. Int. Semin. on laterites, Int. Geol. Correl. Prog. (I.G.C.P.), sponsored by UNESCO - U.G.S., Trivandrum, Abstr., pp 52–53.Google Scholar
- Krishnan M S (1935). Lateritisation of khondalite,Rec. Geol. Surv. Ind., 68 (4): 392–394.Google Scholar
- Natarajan V and Nanda J K (1981). Large scale basin and dome structures in the high grade metamorphics near Visakhapatnam, South India,Geol. Soc. Ind. J., 22: 584–592.Google Scholar
- RaVnam P K (1981). Geomorphic evolution and its significance in exploration planning of the East Coast bauxite deposits of India,J. Geol Soc. Ind., 22 (10): 488–495.Google Scholar
- Sen A K (1980). Mode of occurrence, physical properties and fabric of the bauxite deposits of Eastern Ghat: with special reference to Panchpatmali and Pottangi plateaus.Ind. Min., 34 (2) : 26–36.Google Scholar
- Vinogradov A, Tugarinov A, Zycov C, Stapnikova N, Bibikova E and Khorre K (1964). Geochronology of Indian Percambrian,22nd Int. Geol. Cong., New Delhi, 10:553–567.Google Scholar