Geoelectrical soundings for the study of suitable aquifers in the Gangetic alluvium of Allahabad region
- 32 Downloads
Sixteen geoelectrical soundings were taken in the western part of the district Allahabad lying between the rivers Ganga and Yamuna during the month of April 1976. The area of investigation forms the eastern part of Doab of rivers Ganga and Yamuna. Schlumberger configuration of geoelectrical soundings was used and the data were interpreted mainly by curve matching technique and theoretically calculated multi-layer model curves. Based on the results of the investigation it has been possible to draw geoelectrical section along two profiles and prepare a contour map of resistant substratum representing the base of the alluvial cover. A fence diagram has been constructed to represent the result of all the sounding data. The results of the present geophysical study have provided valuable information regarding the subsurface geology of this virgin area and also the potential aquifer zones which could be exploited for regular supply of groundwater for irrigation and drinking purposes.
KeywordsGeoelectrical sounding aquifers Schlumberger configuration resistant substratum fence diagram
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baweja B K 1980 Hydrogeological setup and groundwater resource potential of India, Bull. 3 (Technical Series-H)Google Scholar
- Ebert A 1943Geophysics 10 1Google Scholar
- Keller G V and Frischknecht F C 1966Electrical methods in geophysical prospecting (Pergamon Press)Google Scholar
- Koefoed O 1979Geosounding principles 1,Resistivity sounding measurements (Elsevier)Google Scholar
- Krishnan M S and Swaminathan J 1959J. Geol. Soc. India 1 10Google Scholar
- Orellana E and Mooney H M 1966Master tables and curves for vertical electrical sounding over layered structures (Madrid, Spain: Interciencia)Google Scholar
- Rijkswaterstaat 1969 Standard graph for resistivity prospecting prepared by Van Dam and Mouleakemp (EAEG)Google Scholar