Effect of temperature on anodic behavior of 13Cr martensitic steel in CO2 environment
The corrosion behavior of 13Cr martensitic stainless steel in a CO2 environment in a stimulated oilfield was studied with potentiodynamic polarization and the impedance spectra technique. The results showed that the microstructure of the surface scale clearly changed with temperature. This decreased the sensitivity of pitting corrosion and increased the tendency toward general (or uniform) corrosion. The capacitance, the charge transfer resistance, and the polarization resistance of the corrosion product scale decrease with increasing temperature from 90 to 120 °C, and thus the corrosion is a thermal activation controlled process. Charge transfer through the scale is difficult and the corrosion is controlled by a diffusion process at a temperature of 150 °C. Resistance charge transfer through the corrosion product layer is higher than that in the passive film.
KeywordsCO2 corrosion 13Cr martensitic stainless steel electrochemical impedance spectra
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. Denpo and H. Ogawa,Corrosion, Paper No. 28, NACE, Houston, TX (1990).Google Scholar
- 2.K. Denpo and H. Ogawa,Corrosion, Paper No. 60, NAGE, Houston, TX (1993).Google Scholar
- 4.T. Hara, H. Asahi, Y. Suehiro and H. Kaneta,Corrosion 56, 866 (1994).Google Scholar
- 5.C. De Waard, U. Lotz and A. Dugstad,Corrosion, Paper No. 128, NACE, Houston, TX (1995).Google Scholar
- 6.K. Masamura, S. Hashizume, Y. Inohara and Y. Minami,Corrosion, Paper No. 583, NACE, Houston, TX (1999).Google Scholar
- 7.S. Hashizume, T. Takaoka, Y. Minami, Y. Ishizawa and T. Yamada,Corrosion, Paper No. 28, NACE, Houston, TX (1991).Google Scholar
- 8.S. Hashizume, Y. Minami and Y. Ishizawa,Corrosion, Paper No. 78, NACE, Houston, TX (1995).Google Scholar
- 9.C. Cao and J. Zhang,Introduction of electrochemical spectra, p. 188, Science Publishing Company, Beijing (2002).Google Scholar
- 10.C. Cao and J. Zhang,Introduction of electrochemical spectra, p. 88, Science Publishing Company, Beijing (2002).Google Scholar