Synthesis of Al2O3/SiC composites by the SHS microwave heating process
- 80 Downloads
Alumina/silicon carbide composites were synthesized by the microwave induced SHS (Self-propagating High-temperature Synthesis) process. SiO2/Al/C powders were used as starting materials and samples were ignited by using a 2.45 GHz multimode home microwave oven (700W). Effects of the mixing ratio of SiO2/Al/C powders, reaction environments, and weight percent of KNO3 as a reaction promoter on the formation of the final product were studied.
KeywordsAl2O3−SiC SHS microwave processing hybrid heating ceramic composites
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Z. A. Munir,Am. Ceram. Soc. Bull. 67, 342 (1988).Google Scholar
- 2.W. L. Frankhouser,Advanced Processing of Ceramic Compounds, p. 128, Elsevier Applied Science (1985).Google Scholar
- 4.I. Ahmad, R. Dalton, and D. Clark,J. Microwave Power & Electromagnetic Energy 26, 128 (1991).Google Scholar
- 5.J. H. Park and Z. S. Ahn,J. Ceram. Soc. Jpn. 103, 211 (1995).Google Scholar
- 6.H. M. Lee, H. L. Lee, and H. J. Lee,J. Kor. Ceram. Soc. 32, 11 (1995).Google Scholar
- 7.C. Y. An, K. S. Yun, J. C. Jo, and C. W. Won,Kor. J. Mater. Res. 9, 817 (1999).Google Scholar
- 8.S. B. Kim,Kor. J. Crystallography 9, 44 (1998).Google Scholar
- 11.K. Nihihara, A. Nakahira, T. Uchiyama, and T. Hirai,Fract. Mech. Ceram., vol. 7, p. 103, Plenum Press, New York (1986).Google Scholar