Effects of solidification structure on fatigue crack initiation and fatigue strength in Al−Si−Mg cast alloys
- 55 Downloads
Rotating-bending uniaxial fatigue tests and micro-fatigue crack initiation tests were carried out using a permanent mold cast (PMC) and semi-solid die cast (SDC) with Al−7%Si−0.35%Mg composition in order to examine the relationship between solidification structures and fatigue behaviors. The crack length was measured using a replication method. Fatigue strength was improved in SDC, which was almost consistent with the predicted fatigue strength using the size of Si particle cluster. Resistance to fatigue crack initiation and fatigue strength were improved in SDC owing to the finer Si cluster and to higher ultimate tensile strength. Fatigue crack in PMC was preferentially initiated at pores. For SDC, the fatigue crack was initiated at the Si particle/matrix interface, and then sucessively grew along eutectic cell boundaries.
Keywordssemi-solid die cast fatigue strength prediction fatigue crack initiation eutectic cell boundary
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.T. Reinhart,ASTM Handbook 19, 813 (1996).Google Scholar
- 2.I. J. Polmear,Light Alloys, Metallurgy of the Light Metals, 2nd Ed., p. 144, Edward Arnold, London (1989).Google Scholar
- 3.J. Allison, J. Jones, M. Caton, and J. Boileau,Proc. of the 7th Int. Fatigue Congress: Fatigue 99 (eds. X. R. Wu and Z. G. Wang), vol. 3, p. 2021, Beijing, P.R. China (1999).Google Scholar
- 4.M. Kubota, Y. Ochi, and R. Shibata,Proc. 93rd Conf. of Jpn. Inst. Light Met., p. 307, Jpn. Inst. Light Met. (1999).Google Scholar
- 5.S. Kumai, S. Aoki, S. W. Han, and A. Sato,Mater. Trans JIM 40, 685 (1999).Google Scholar
- 12.M. Kobayashi and T. Matsui,Trans. Jpn. Soc. Mech. Eng. A 62, 341 (1996).Google Scholar
- 13.Y. Murakami, M. Kobayashi, T. Makino, T. Toriyama, Y. Kurihara, S. Takasaki, and R. Ebara,Trans. Jpn. Soc. Mech. Eng. A 57, 2305 (1991).Google Scholar
- 14.E. J. Gumbel,Statistics of Extremes, p. 34, Columbia Univ. Press. (1957).Google Scholar
- 15.M. Kubota, Y. Ochi, A. Ishii, and S. Shibata,Trans. Jpn. Soc. Mech. Eng. A 61, 2342 (1995).Google Scholar