High temperature sulfidation and oxidation of sputter-deposited Nb−Al−Si coatings
- 48 Downloads
The sulfidation and oxidation behavior of amorphous 58Nb-38Al-4Si(at%) coating sputter-deposited with d.c. magnetron sputtering was studied between 700 and 900°C under 0.1 atm of pure S2(g) and 1 atm of air, respectively. The coating approximately followed the parabolic sulfidation and oxidation rate law, and displayed superior resistance to sulfidation and oxidation. The coating sulfidized to Al2S3 and NbS2 which protected the substrate. The coating oxidized to TiO2, AlNbO4 and κ-Al2O3 which acted as an oxidation barrier. The mechanisms of sulfidation and oxidation of the prepared coating are discussed.
Keywordssulfidation oxidation coating niobium aluminum silicon
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. Kofstad,High Temperature Corrosion, p. 425, Elsevier Applied Science, London and New York (1988).Google Scholar
- 4.N. Birks and G. H. Meier,Introduction to High Temperature Oxidation of Metals, p. 126, Edward Arnold, London (1983).Google Scholar
- 7.H. Mitsui, H. Habazaki, E. Akiyama, A. Kawashima, K. Asami, K. Hashimoto and S. Mrowec,Mater. Trans. JIM 37, 379 (1996).Google Scholar
- 13.R. Klumpes, C. H. M. Maree, E. Schramm and J. H. W. de Wit,Oxidation of High-Temperature Intermetallics, p. 99, TMS, PA (1989).Google Scholar
- 16.G. Petzow and G. Effenberg,Ternary Alloys, vol. 7, p. 382, VCH, NY (1993).Google Scholar