Precipitation measurement using DMSP SSM/I data and the third precipitation intercomparison project (PIP-3)
- 36 Downloads
The Defense Meteorological Satetlite Program (DMSP) is described and information is provided about the spacecraft, its environment, ground data system, global visible and infrared cloud data, The Third precipitation Intercomparison Project (PIP-3) objectives, principles of operation, serisof specifications and calibration ittformation of the SSM/I are discussed. Finally, some results of the Third Precipitation Intercornparison Project are presented.
KeywordsBrightness Temperature Atoll Global Precipitation Climatology Project Latitude Band Antenna Temperature
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adler R F (1996). Third Precipitation Intercomparison Project (PIP-3) Preliminary Result, Marshall Space Flight Centre, NASA Report, October 1996.Google Scholar
- Dubach L and Ng C (1988). NSSDC’s Compendium of Meteorological Space Programs, Satellites and Experiments, Goddard Space Flight Centre, NASA report, March 1988.Google Scholar
- Kramer H J (1994). Observation of the Earth and its Environment — Survey of Missions and Sensors, 2nd Edition, Springer-Verlag, ISBN: 3-540-578587, May 1994.Google Scholar
- Holinger et al., (1989). DMSP Special Sensor Micro- wave/Imager Calibration/validation, Final Report Volume I, Naval Research Laboratory, Washington DC, 20 July 1989.Google Scholar
- Nirala M L and Cracknell A P (1998). Development in radar and satellite rainfall measurements, in Dundee summer school on Physical Processes in the coastal zone: Computer modelling and remote sensing, University of Dundee, Scotland, 12–29 August, 1997 (Bristol, Institute of Physics) pp. 267–280.Google Scholar
- Wentz Frank J (1993). User’s Manual SSM/I Antenna Temperature Tapes Revision 2, Remote Sensing Systems Technical Report 120193, Remote Sensing Systems, Santa Rosa, California, December 1, 1993.Google Scholar
- Wilheit T, Adler R, Avery S, Barrett E, Bauer P, Berg W, Chang A, Ferriday J, Grody N, Goodman S, Kidd C, Kniveton D, Kummerow C, Mugnai A, Olson W, Petty G, Shibata A and Smith E (1994). Algorithms for the retrieval of rainfall from passive microwave measurements. Remote Sensing Reviews, Harwood Academic Publishers, Vol. 11, pp. 163–194.Google Scholar