Generation of dislocations and subgrains in semisolid al-6.2wt%Si alloy
- 37 Downloads
Generation of large amount of tangled dislocations and subsequent formation of subgrains by the pile-up of the dislocations in the stircast Al-6.2wt%Si alloy has been observed through a detailed transmission electron microscopy. The misorientations between the subgrains were measured by selected area diffraction patterns and convergent beam electron diffraction (CBED) patterns. The density and the degree of entanglement of dislocations increased with the increase of solid fraction, shear stress and shear rate. Longer isothermal stirring time gave rise to higher dislocation density and smaller subgrain size. The melt-off of high-angle boundaries which was suggested by Vogel-Doherty-Cantor’s grain boundary melting model is supported by the observation of the subgrains within the primary solid particles due to the generation and subsequent pile-up of the extremely large amount of dislocations during semi-solid stirring.
KeywordsShear Rate Solid Fraction Zone Axis Dark Field Image Subgrain Boundary
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.A. Vogel, R. D. Doherty and B. Cantor, inProc. Conf. on Solidification & Casting of Metals, p. 518, Metal Society, Sheffield, England (1979).Google Scholar
- 4.H. I. Lee, J. I. Lee and M. I. Kim, inProc. 3rd Int. Conf. on Semisolid Processing of Alloys and Composites, p. 281, Institute of Industrial Science of Tokyo University, Japan (1994).Google Scholar
- 5.D. S. Shin, J. I. Lee, J. Lee and H. I. Lee, inProc. 4th Int. Conf. on Semisolid Processing of Alloys and Composites, p. 92, Sheffield University, England (1996).Google Scholar
- 6.K. B. Kim and E. P. Yoon, “Research trends of semisolid forming technology - special issue”,Bulletin of the Korean Institute of Metals and Materials,10, 113 (1997).Google Scholar
- 7.W. J. Jung, K. T. Kim and C. P. Hong, “Research trends of semisolid forming technology- special issue,Bulletin of the Korean Institute of Metals and Materials,10, 107 (1997).Google Scholar