Fatigue limit of shot peened LC9 aluminum alloy
- 26 Downloads
The effects of shot peening on the three-point bending fatigue limit are described for LC9 aluminum alloy. Examination of the fatigue fracture surfaces revealed that the fatigue cracks were initiated under the hardened layer, depending upon the compressive residual stress (CRS) distribution. In this case, the local fatigue limit at the fatigue source is about 1.38 times of that of unstrengthened ones. An explanation is given with reference to the concept of internal fatigue limit бwi, which is regarded as the critical stress to initiate propagative fatigue microcrack in the interior of metal. and an intrinsic property of metal.
KeywordsFatigue Fatigue Crack Fatigue Limit Compressive Residual Stress Tensile Residual Stress
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.F. Z. Li and D. R. Liu,Mat. of Mech. Eng. Sinica 2, 23 (1984) (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- 2.J. K. Li, M. Yao and R. Z. Wang, inProc. of the Fourth International Conference on Shot Peening, p. 225 (1990).Google Scholar
- 3.T. Hirsch, H. Wohlfahrt and E. Marcherauch, inProc. of the Third International Conference on Shot Peening, p. 547, Garmisch-Partenkichen (1987).Google Scholar
- 4.R. Z. Wang, X. B. Li and H. Wu,Proc. of the Third International Conference on Shot Peening, p. 417.Google Scholar
- 5.H. Wohlfahrt,Proc. of the Third International Conference on Shot Peening, p. 563.Google Scholar
- 6.A. J. Collins, Failure of Material in Mechanical Design, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 369 (1981).Google Scholar
- 8.S. P. Wang, M. Yao and R. Z. Wang,Advanced Materials and Processing, p. 1249, KIMM, Korea (1995).Google Scholar
- 9.J. K. Li, M. Yao and R. Z. Wang,Ada Aeronautica Sinica,13(11), 670 (1992) (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- 10.S. P. Wang, Ph. D. Dissertation. Harbin Institute of Technology (1994) (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- 11.M. Yao, S. P. Wang, J. K. Li and R. Z. Wang,Acta Metall. Sinica,29(11), 511 (1993) (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- 12.S. P. Wang, M. Yao and R. Z. Wang,Ref. 8, p. 1241.Google Scholar