Finding the right problem
- 57 Downloads
In an educational setting, a solution that has worked for one problem may not work for the same problem that occurs at a different time in a different work conditions. However, administrators and teachers resort to quick solutions to the perceived problem, consequently affecting not only the curriculum but also the students ’ learning. This paper shows how administrators and teachers can find problems prior to problem solution by taking three steps: (1) Examining the interconnectivity of things; (2) Exploring possible and alternative problems and (3) Asking the right question. The paper demonstrates not only how these steps operate in specific situations encountered by administrators and teachers but also how finding the problem can be an effective tool in performing their respective roles.
KeywordsEducational Setting Personal Variable Institutional Variable Problem Finding Educational Problem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brookfield, S. (2000). Developing critical thinkers.A Manual for a Two-day Workshop: The Center of Educational Outreach and Innovation. New York: Teachers College, Columbia University.Google Scholar
- Csikczentmihalyi, M. (1999, November). Problem finding and the creative process.Student Colloquium. from www.proble~1≩teso~1.htm.Google Scholar
- Csikczentmihalyi, M. (1996).Creativity. NY: Harper Collins Publishers, Inc.Google Scholar
- Dudek, S., & Cote, R. (1994). Problem finding revisited. In M. Runco (Ed.).Problem finding, problem solving and creativity. NJ: Ablex Publishing Corporation.Google Scholar
- Getzels, J. W. (1979). Problem-Finding and Research in Educational Administration. In G. Immegart & W.L. Boyd (eds.),Problem-finding in educational administration: Trends in research and theory. Canada: DC Heath & Co.Google Scholar
- McPherson, B., Crowson, R., & Pitner, N. (1986).Managing uncertainty: Administrative theory and practice in education. Ohio: Bell & Howell Co.Google Scholar
- Mumford, M., Reiter-Palmon, R., & Redmond, M. (1994). Problem Construction. In M. Runco (Ed.)Problem finding, problem solving and creativity. NJ: Ablex Publishing Corporation.Google Scholar
- North Central Regional Educational Laboratory. Team problem finding. from www. Problem-based learning/Team Problem Finding.htm. Problem-finding (Problem Definition / Redefinition). from www. Proble~1⌕oble~1.htm.Google Scholar
- Ramirez, V. (2001). Problem finding for learning teachers and administrators. Paper delivered at the Second National Conference on Research in Education. UP Diliman.Google Scholar
- Ramirez, V. (1997).Effects of the application of theory on the management of educational problems: Implications for policy and practice. Unpublished dissertation, University of the Philippines.Google Scholar
- Runco, M. (Ed.) (1994).Problem finding, problem solving, and creativity. NJ: Ablex Publishing Corporation.Google Scholar