Nubra-Gartang superlineament its geological siginficance and relation with the indus suture
- 16 Downloads
The authors interpreted a major lineament in Ladakh region on LANDSAT imagery and named it Nubra-Gartang superlineament, after the two livers along which it is aligned for a considerable distance. The superlineament trending NW-SE, extends for a distance of 750 km from the Afganistan border to southern Tibet. Structural and geomorphic evidences indicate that the lineament is perhaps still active and represents a dextral strike-slip fault. The fracture pattern and other tectonic elements suggest that a ‘suture’ zone is expected further to the north of this line in the Pamir region and the so called ‘Indus suture zone’ may be only a sister fracture to this superlineament. Occurrences of Quaternary volcanics along the superlineament are not ruled out and as such the zone offers a favourable locale for associated mineralisation.
KeywordsLANDSAT Imagery Himalayan Geology Ophiolite Suite Major Strike Slip Fault Main Boundary Fault
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chaterjee, D., Das S. R., Ray, A. K. and Ray, D. K. 1976 Tectonic relationship in Ladakh-Karakorum region (in press).Proceedings of International Seminar on Himalayan Geology, (New Delhi)Sept. 1976 (abstract pp. 81–82.Google Scholar
- Gansser, A. 1964 Geology of Himalaya.Inter science publishers, London.Google Scholar
- Geological Survey of India 1976 (a) Hot spring committee report.Unpublished GSI report.Google Scholar
- 1975 (b) Report on Puga-Chumathing multipurpose Project, 1974. Vol. I (text), pp. 43–44.Unpublished G.S.I. report.Google Scholar
- Geological Survey of India 1976n Geology of Himalaya; appraisal of status and definition of problems. Key paper presented in theInternational Seminar on Himalayan Geology, New Delhi, Sept. 1976.Google Scholar
- Kaila, K.L. and Narayan, H. 1976 Evolution of the Himalaya, based on seismotectonics and deep seimsmic sounding,Himalayan Geology Seminar, (New Delhi), Sept. 1976.Google Scholar
- Kurien, T. K. and Raina, V.K. 1956 Report on the Geology of Karakorum region Ladakh,unpublished GSI report.Google Scholar