The influence of the weight of the duodenal tube tip on its entrance time
- 9 Downloads
A successful intubation of the duodenum was accomplished in a two-hour period with any one of four tubes used, in about 90% of the attempts.
A lead weighted tip appears to hasten entrance into the duodenum. This, however, has not been determined beyond doubt.
Increasing the weight of the tip from 69 grains (Twiss Tube) to 150 grains (Moses Einhorn Tube 1938) does not appear to accelerate its passage, or increase the percentage of successes.
Note: I am grateful to Elsa Nussbaumer, R.N., for her technical assistance.
KeywordsGall Bladder Secretin Esophageal Varix Entrance Time Successful Intubation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hammeter, J. C.:Johns Hopkins Hosp. Bull., 7:79, April, 1896.Google Scholar
- 2.Kuhn, F.: Sondierungen am Magen, Pylorus and Duodenum des Menschen.Archiv. f. Verdauungskr., p. 19, 1898. (Quoted by Max Einhorn in. “The Duodenal Tube,” W. B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia, 1920).Google Scholar
- 3.Gross, Maurice: A Duodenal Tube.New York Med. J., 91:77, Jan. 8, 1910.Google Scholar
- 4.Einhorn, Max: A Practical Method of Obtaining Duodenal Contents in Man.Medical Record, 77:98, Jan. 15, 1910.Google Scholar
- 5.Einhorn, Max: A New Method of Estimating the Permeability of the Pylorus and an Attempt at Testing the Pancreatic Function Directly.New York Med. J., 87:1179, June 20, 1908.Google Scholar
- 6.Einhorn, Max: A New Method of Catheterizing the Pylorus and Duodenum.Medical Record, 76:595, Oct. 9. 1909. 7. Palefsky, I. O. : The Examination of the Gastro-duodenal Tract.Interstate Med. J., p. 977, 1914. (Quoted from “The Duodenal Tube,” by Max Einhorn).Google Scholar
- 8.Rehfuss, M. E.: A New Method of Gastric Testing, with a Description of a Method for the Fractional Testing of the Gastric Juice.Am. J. Med. Sciences, 147:848, June, 1914.Google Scholar
- 9.Lyon, B. B. Vincent: A New Metal Tip Possessing Obvious Advantages for Use in Gastric or Duodenal Tubes.J. A. M. A., 74:276, Jan., 1920.Google Scholar
- 10.Einhorn, Moses: New Bucketless Lead Weighted Gastro-duodenal Tube with a Review of the American Contribution to the Development of These Tubes.Am. J. Dig. Dis., 5:77, April, 1938.Google Scholar
- 11.Jutte, M. E. : Transduodenal Lavage.New York Med. J., p. 542, March 16, 1912.Google Scholar
- 12.Levin, A. J.: A New Gastro-duodenal Catheter.J. A. M. A., 76:1007, April, 1921.Google Scholar
- 14.Lyon, B. B. Vincent: Non-surgical Drainage of Gall Tract. Lea & Febiger, Philadelphia, 1923.Google Scholar