Variations in the enzymatic activity of duodenal contents preliminary report
- 9 Downloads
A system of enzyme analysis has been developed which permits an accurate estimation of the proteolytic, lipolytic and amylolytic activity of the enzymes of duodenal contents. When this system of analysis is applied to duodenal contents secured after stimulating pancreatic secretion with olive oil, it has been found possible to define the normal range of values with a reasonable degree of accuracy, and give these in terms of the normal taken as 100. Employing this method of recording the enzyme activities to pathological cases, abnormal values stand out very clearly from the normal. Very low values are found in pancreatitis and certain other conditions, while subnormal values are encountered in various gastro-intestinal disorders which may have an effect on the pancreas. In diabetes the enzyme activity may be subnormal, or considerably elevated.
KeywordsLipase Amylase Chronic Pancreatitis Gastric Secretion Pancreatic Secretion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Einhorn, M.:Med. Ree, 77: 88, Jan. 15, 1910.Google Scholar
- 2.Aaron, A. H., Bockus. H. L. and Ivy, A. C.; Committee Report.Trans. Am. Gastro-Enterol. Ass’n., 37: 38. 1934.Google Scholar
- 3.McClure, C. W., Wetmore, A. S. and Reynolds, L.:Arch. Int. Med., 27: 706, June, 1921.Google Scholar
- 5.Crandall. L. A.: Personal Communication.Google Scholar
- 6.Myers, V. C. and Killian, J. A.:J. Biol. Chem., 29: 179, 1917.Google Scholar
- 7.Myers, V. C. and Reid, E.:J. Biol. Chem., 99: 595, Jan., 1933.Google Scholar
- 8.Jones, C. M., Castle, W. B., Mulholland, H. B. and Bailey,F.:Arch. Int. Med., 35: 315, March, 1925.Google Scholar