Squamous cell carcinoma of the maxillary sinus: A retrospective analysis of 36 cases.
36 patients with advanced squamous cell carcinomas of the maxillary sinuses formed the basis of this review. There were 16 T3 and 20 T4. Treatment consisted of radiotherapy alone in 21 cases and radiotherapy followed by systemic chemotherapy in 15 cases. The median survival for all analysed patients was 19 months and the 3-year and 5-year estimated survivals were 30% and 17%. The respective 3-and 5-year survival probabilities were 19% and 9% for patients treated with radiotherapy alone and 40% and 27% for patients treated with radiotherapy and chemotherapy (p= 0.01). Our findings seem to suggest that the addititon of systemic chemotherapy to radiotherapy may imporve overall survival in advanced squamous cell carcinomas of the maxillary sinuses.
KeywordsNeck Cancer Paranasal Sinus Maxillary Sinus Chemotherapy Group Advanced Squamous Cell Carcinoma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Harrison LB, Pfister DG, Fass DE, et al (1991): Concomitant chemotherapy-radiation therapy followed by hyperfractionated radiation therapy for advanced unresectable head and neck cancer. INT. J. Radiat, Oncol. Biol. Phys 21: 703–708.Google Scholar
- 6.American Joint Committee on Cancer. (1983) An Manual for staging of Cancer. J.B. Lippincott Co, Philadelphia. 43–48.Google Scholar
- 11.Peto R, Pke MC, Armitage P, et al (1977): Design and analysis of randomized clinical trials requiring prolonged observation of each patient. BR, J. Cancer 35: 1–39.Google Scholar
- 12.Cox DR, (1972): Regression models and life-tables. J. R. Stat Soc (B) 34: 187–220.Google Scholar
- 19.Frich IC (1982) Treatment of advanced squamous carcinoma of the maxillary sinus by irradiation. INT. J. Radial Oncol. Biol. Phys 8; 1453–1459.Google Scholar