Pectin as a prophylactic and curative agent for peptic ulcers produced experimentally with cinchophen
- 18 Downloads
Summary and conclusions
In a series of 13 dogs, 4 control animals were treated with cinchophen and 9 experimental animals with cinchophen and pectin. Those treated with only cinchophen showed 100% incidence of ulcer, while those given both the cinchophen and pectin showed an incidence of only 11.1% ulcers.
In general all animals receiving the pectin were in excellent condition while those of the control group showed intermittent bloody diarrhea, anorexia and nausea.
Two control dogs, definitely proved by operation to have ulcers, were treated postoperatively with cinchophen and pectin. On the 21st and 25th postoperative days, postmortem examination of these dogs showed well healed ulcers.
On the basis of this experiment in a small series of dogs pectin has been shown to have prophylactic and curative properties for peptic ulcers produced experimentally with cinchophen.
KeywordsPeptic Ulcer Pectin Duodenal Ulcer Curative Agent Gastroduodenal Ulcer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Van Wagoner, F.H.. Churchill, M. B. and Churchill T. P.: Production of Gastric and Duodenal Ulcers in Experimental Cinchophen Poisoning in Dogs.Arch. Path., 14:860, 1932.Google Scholar
- 2.Reid, P. E. and Ivy, A. C.: Gastric Mucin a Prophylactic Against Gastroduodenal Ulcers and “Acute” Toxicity Resulting from Cinchophen.Pro. Soc. Exper. Biol. and Med., 34:142, 1936.Google Scholar
- 3.Stalker, L. K.; Bollman, J. L. and Mann, F. C.: Prophylactic Treatment of Peptic Ulcer Produced Experimentally by Cinchophen.Amer. Jour. Dig. Dis. and Nutrit., 3:822, 1936-37.Google Scholar
- 4.Stalker, L. K., Bollman, J. L. and Mann, F. C.: Experimental Peptic Ulcers Produced by Cinchophen.Arch. Surg., 35:290, 1937.Google Scholar
- 5.Bollman, J. L., Stalker, L. K. and Mann, F. C.: Experimental Peptic Ulcers Produced by Cinchophen.Arch. Int. Med., 61:119, 1938.Google Scholar
- 6.Winters, M. and Tompkins, C. A.: A Pectin-agar Preparation for Treatment of Diarrhea of Infants.Amer. Jour. Dis. Child., 52:250, 1936.Google Scholar