An experimental study of the rhythmic contractions in the small intestine of the dog

  • Donald M. Douglas
  • Frank C. Mann


Exteriorized loops were prepared at various levels in the small bowel of trained dogs and the occurrence and rate of rhythmic contractions noted. Rhythmic contractions were found to be a relatively rare form of movement in these preparations, occurring in about 2 per cent of all tracings. The remaining 98 per cent of the tracings was occupied by irregular types of segmentation, peristaltic and tonus waves.

The rate of rhythmic contractions was a constant for any given loop with a variation of plus or minus one contraction per minute.

The rate of any given loop was found to be a function of its distance from the pylorus, the loop at the highest level having the highest rate, that at the lowest level having the lowest rate.

The rate was not affected by fasting, feeding or sleep, except that in the recently fed animal, rhythmic contractions were less commonly observed than in the fasting animal.

The rate was unaffected by degenerative vagal and splanchnic section.


Small Bowel Myenteric Plexus Brilliant Green Peristaltic Wave Rhythmic Contraction 
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.


Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.


  1. 1.
    Alvarez, W. C.: Functional Variations in Contractions of Different Parts of the Small Intestine.Am. J. Physiol, 35:177–193, Sept., 1914.Google Scholar
  2. 2.
    Alvarez, W. C.: II. Further Studies on Intestinal Rhythm.Am. J. Physiol., 37:267–281, May, 1915.Google Scholar
  3. 3.
    Alvarez, W. C.: The Motor Functions of the Intestine from a New Point of View.J. A. M. A., 65:388–394, July 31, 1915.Google Scholar
  4. 4.
    Alvarez, W. C., Hosoi, Kiyoshi, Overgard, A. and Ascanio, Hugo: The Effects of Degenerative Section of the Vagi and the Splanchnics on the Digestive Tract.Am. J. Physiol., 90:631–655, Nov., 1929.Google Scholar
  5. 5.
    Bayliss, W. M. and Starling, E. H.: The Movements and Innervation of the Small Intestine.J. Physiol., 24:99–143, May, 1899.PubMedGoogle Scholar
  6. 6.
    Biebl, Max: Graphische Darstellung der Darmbewegungen an der in einem Hautschauch exventerierten Darmschlinge.Klin. Wchnschr., 9:1674–1675, Sept. 6, 1930.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  7. 7.
    Cannon, W. B.: The Passage of Different Food-stuffs from the Stomach and Through the Small Intestine.Am. J. Physiol., 12:387–418, Dec, 1904.Google Scholar
  8. 8.
    Cannon, W. B.: Peristalsis, Segmentation, and the Myenteric Reflex.Am. J. Physiol., 30:114–128, April, 1912.Google Scholar
  9. 9.
    Castleton, K. B.: An Experimental Study of the Movements of the Small Intestine.Am. J. Physiol., 107:641–646, March, 1934.Google Scholar
  10. 10.
    Johnson, S. E.: Experimental Degeneration of the Extrinsic Nerves of the Small Intestine in Relation to the Structure of the Myenteric Plexus.J. Comp. Neurol, 38:299–314, April, 1925.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  11. 11.
    Puestow, C. B.: Studies on the Activity of Isolated Intestinal Segments. Proc. Staff Meet. Mayo Clinic, 6:131–132, March 4, 1931.Google Scholar
  12. 12.
    Thomas, J. E. and Kuntz, Albert: A Study of the Vago-enteric Mechanism by Means of Nicotin.Am. J. Physiol, 76:598–605, May, 1926.Google Scholar

Copyright information

© Springer-Verlag 1939

Authors and Affiliations

  • Donald M. Douglas
    • 1
  • Frank C. Mann
    • 2
  1. 1.Commonwealth Fund Fellow in Experimental Surgery on Assignment in The Mayo FoundationRochester
  2. 2.Division of Experimental MedicineThe Mayo FoundationRochester

Personalised recommendations