Management of tongue base obstruction in obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome
- 29 Downloads
Studies have shown that the obstruction in OSA is more often than not multicentric. Tongue base obstruction is relatively more difficult to diagnose accurately and treat effectively. In this presentation, an effort is made to suggest two methods of management of this problem. One deals with the surgical management and the second, an alternative non-surgical method.
KeywordsObstructive Sleep Apnoea Hyoid Bone Tongue Base Obstructive Sleep Apnoea Syndrome Posterior Pharyngeal Wall
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Deberry - Borwiecki B., Kukwa A.A. & Blanks Rhi (1985): Indications for palatopharyngoplasty Arch Otolaryngology 111, 659–663.Google Scholar
- 2.Deberry- Horwiecki B., Sassin JFL: Surgical treatment of sleep apnoea Arch Otolarying 1983; 109:508–512.Google Scholar
- 3.Fujita S., Conway W., Zorick F., Roth T.,: Surgical Correction of anatomic abnormalities in OSA Syndrome: (UPPP): Otolaryngology, head neck surg. 1981 ; 89: 923–934.Google Scholar
- 5.Hill W: One some cases of backwardness & stupidity in children Br. Med J 2: 711–712, 1889.Google Scholar
- 6.Harper RM, Salverland EK: The role of the tongue in sleep apnoea syndrome, in Guilleminault C., Dement WC (eds) sleep apnoea syndromes, NY, Alan R Liss Inc, 1978 PP 219–234.Google Scholar
- 7.Osler W: The principles and practices of Medicine, New York: Appleton, 1906, P: 431.Google Scholar
- 8.Riley R., Guilleminault C, Powell N. et al: UPPP failure, Cephalometric roentgenograms, &OSA. Otolaryngol — head and neck Surg. 1985: 93:240–3.Google Scholar
- 9.Riley R., Powell N., Gulleminault C,: OSA Syndrome -A Review of 306th Consecutively treated surgical patients.Google Scholar
- 10.Simmons FB., Guilleminault C,: Snoring and some OSA, can be cured by Orophyaryngeal Surgery — Arch Otolaryngol, 1983; 109:503–507.Google Scholar
- 11.Woodson B.T., Conway W., Zorick F., Roth T., Surgical Correction of anatomic abnormalities in OSA Syndrome: UPPP Otolaryngol, Head Neck Surg. 1981: 89:923–934.Google Scholar