Chlorophyll — A Concentration Along West Coast of India Using IRS-P3 MOS-B Data
- 100 Downloads
Remote sensing of ocean colour yields information on the constituents of sea water, such as the concentration of phytoplankton pigments, suspended sediments and yellow substances. It is well understood that the study of ocean colour is significantly related with the primary production and zonation of potential fishing sites in coastal and oceanic waters. The major pigment constituent is predominated by chlorophyll-a (ocean colour pigment of phytoplankton). The chlorophyll mapping on regular basis plays a major role in assessing water quality and classifying different water types. IRS P-3 MOS-B satellite data for three consecutive passes of path 94, during the period of January-February 1997 have been used to derive chlorophyll-a concentration. The present study emphasizes on the chlorophyll mapping using IRS-P3 MOS-B data for the coastal and offshore water of Maharashtra coast, India.
KeywordsChlorophyll Chlorophyll Concentration Ocean Colour Offshore Water Cyclonic Eddy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Banse, K. (1968). Hydrography of the Arabian Sea Shelf of India and Pakistan and effects on demersal Fishes. Deep Sea Res.,15:45–79.Google Scholar
- Chauhan, P., Sarangi, R.K., Raman, M., Mohan, M. and Nayak, S.R. (1999). Chlorophyll-a and diffuse attenuation coefficient (Kd) estimation using IRS-P3 MOS-B satellite data in Arabian sea. NNRMS Bulletin, Department of Space, Government of India,23:7–12.Google Scholar
- Dwivedi, R.M., Solanki, U.U., Nayak, S.R. and Navalgund, R.R. (1997). Seasonal and spatial distribution of chlorophyll derived from IRS-P3 MOS-B in the Arabian Sea waters. Initial results of MOS validation experiment over the Arabian sea, atmospheric correction aspects. In Proceedings of the First International Workshop on MOS-IRS and Ocean Colour, DLR, Berlin, April 28–30, 1997.Google Scholar
- Mohan, M., Chauhan, P., Raman, M., Solanki, H.U., Mathur, A.K., Nayak, S.R., Jayaraman. A., Satheesh, S.K. and Krishnan, S.K. (1997). Initial results of MOS validation experiment over the Arabian sea, atmospheric correction aspects. In Proceedings of the First International Workshop on MOS-IRS and Ocean Colour, DLR, Berlin, April 28–30, 1997.Google Scholar
- O’Reilly, J.E. and Maritorena, S. (1998). Ocean colour chlorophyll algorithms for SeaWiFS. Journal of Geophysical Research, 103, CI 1, pp. 24,937–24,953.Google Scholar
- Sarangi, R.K., Chauhan, P. and Nayak, S.R. (2000). Vertical diffuse attenuation coefficient (Kd) based optical classification of IRS-P3 MOS-B satellite ocean colour data. In Proceedings of The Fifth Pacific Ocean Remote Sensing Conference (PORSEC), Goa, Dec. 5–8, 2000,1:28–33.Google Scholar